Sky to give HD package for free?

Options
A freind of mine had SKY HD fitted the other day and says that he was told by them that in six months time, they will no longer charge the £10 a month for the HD package, but give it free (similar to what used to happen with SKY+).

Anyone know if this is the case or not!?

Also, if you were to get it for free by taking the 'sign up to movies and HD pack for a year' offer, would they then stop charging the £10 six months through?

thanks guys

Comments

• paulrn_2
    paulrn_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    When I had my HD fitted I was told the same thing, mind you that was well over a year ago!!!
  • SarahMoon
    Options
    It will be happening when sky launch their new gift to customers, This years was HD "Now its for everyone" The code name is usually White Sky for the 2010 project.
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    I think if you sign up with the present offer then you will have to pay £10 a month for the 12 months because they are giving the box free. If they scrap the £10 a month charge they will no doubt start charging for the HD Boxes again?
  • MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    verityboo wrote: »
    I think if you sign up with the present offer then you will have to pay £10 a month for the 12 months because they are giving the box free. If they scrap the £10 a month charge they will no doubt start charging for the HD Boxes again?

I would say you're right verityboo; they will have to make their money from somewhere
    31/03/24:  Debt total £12,400/13,192.13
  • SarahMoon
    SarahMoon Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    verityboo wrote: »
    No itll go like sky+ box and subs for it are free.
  • brookerbabyisababy
    Options
    bound to happen if they want to substantially increase the number of customers with hd. however they might do what they are doing now (maybe testing its success) is that you have to have either sky movies or sky sports to get a hd box for 12 months.
  • Pokerlad
    Pokerlad Posts: 407 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2009 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no plans to remove the charge. Jeremy Darroch specifically told investers as recently as 18 November that there is "no plans" to drop the HD Charge, so whatever you have heard from whoever that is the top man saying that to the investors. He would be breaking stock market rules if that was untrue.

HD is a very expensive technology to produce and broadcast in. If the charge wasnt made then effectively every Sky subscriber would be subsidising its broadcast and development if they had an HD box and TV or not. How many would be happy with that? Truth is that the HD pack is effectively a channel package like Sky Sports, and I don't see endless threads and rumours about that being free anytime soon!!

I think the best we can hope for is more channels for our money, but not free.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    i think pigs might fly and men will have babies before that happens
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    I think Sky will continue the charge for the time being as there is only very limited HD competition. It was competition from Virgin and freeview PVR's that forced Sky to drop the £10 charge for Sky+ subscibers to the basic packages
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure