Claiming back costs of DLA Tribunal (Travel)

Options
I had a letter through this morning giving me the date of my DLA tribunal.

Now, I have to get the tube (and possibly) bus there. However, I use an oyster card, so no paper tickets.

How do I claim back the costs of travelling there & back?
Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
50p saver #40 £20 banked
Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    What did the Tribunals Service say when you asked them? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't asked them yet because by the time I got home and received the letter, it was too late to phone them. And I don't have any cresit to phone them either.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Send them an email? Ask a friend to borrow their phone? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • qwertyuiop12345
    Options
    Do you live in London? From your post I'm assuming you do and that you also have a disability that might make you eligible for DLA, in which case you might be able to get a Freedom Pass.

If you fall into one of seven catagories (copied below) you are automatically eligible, but if you don't and have some other disability you can still apply for a discretionary one.
    1) People who are blind or partially sighted
    2) People who are profoundly or severely deaf
    3) People without speech
    4) People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
    5) People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
    6) People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
    7) People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

• qwertyuiop12345
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    However, I use an oyster card, so no paper tickets.

Can't you view your usage history on the oyster website (this used to be possible for people who had auto-top-ups) and then print it out to use as a receipt?
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    Can't you view your usage history on the oyster website (this used to be possible for people who had auto-top-ups) and then print it out to use as a receipt?

I don't know whether I can do this.

I have applied for a freedom pass; but am having to wait for ages because assisted travel and social services don't/won't communicate properly with each other.:rolleyes:
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • qwertyuiop12345
    Options
    I know what it can be like, my local council seems to take forever when it comes to doing freedom pass renewals....good luck!
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The most obvious thing to do I'd have thought is to actually buy a travel card on the day of travel instead of using your Oyster card, or else just pay the fares in cash so you have tickets to produce.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    That works out more expensive.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • Pete268
    Pete268 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    When I had to go to a DLA tribunal last year in Darlington , I was driven there by a friend and was given a claim form to claim the motor mileage but I could have claimed for bus/train etc (no receipts or anything were asked for). They had a sort of fares table so knew how much the train/bus etc would cost.

Re London, when I visited there earlier this year for a short holiday I could not believe how much the tube fares were. Fortunately I am issued with one of the disabled photocard things to travel free on the tube/DLR/local trains as well as the busses in and around London. Well worth claiming for one if you can.

Peter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport