We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Capital One 0% BT

Hi

I've got 2 credit cards, one with a big balance the other with medium balance. We've been working on our finance management recently and have managed to control their use so we're now trying to pay them off. The big balance attracts over £100 per month in interest, the smaller one about £25. We pay the minimum on the large one and £50 on the smaller one. I figure it'll take years and cost us a fortune, so I want to find a 0% balance transfer.

Capital One posted something through my door. 0% until October 2007 and only a 2% service charge. Sounds good. That'll save me £150 per month for over a year, which means I could potentially pay off more of the debt.

Should I be concerned about Capital One? I'm always sceptical of companies that send regular invites to borrow money. In particular there is a small bit in the agreement that says:
Total charge for credit:
At the time the agreement is made, is £123.63
comprising interest in the sum of: £123.63.

Other than that it sounds like a good deal. I hope they agree the credit limit I need to cover both existing credit cards.

Any input?

Cheers

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Regarding Total Charge see, for example, this thread: 0.00% Pa BT confusion ...
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ive used capital one twice, well once previously.

    They whee fine in the runnin g of the account in general however the customer service was poor if ever you had the need to call. Its one of those where for standard calls your fine but anything slightly out of the ordinary they really done know what to say hence i closed that account 2 years ago.

    I have jus recently taken advantage of the same offer of you and received my card today. Took 2 weeks after signing the form to receive cards however so none too pleased. Reasonably ok with credit limit at £8k and plan on transferring o/s balances from halifax one and barclaycard ive workd out eve with the BT fee this will save me about a grand over the intro period.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.