🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheaper source for small quantites of kerosene (paraffin)?

Options
I use a kerosene (paraffin) heater. I don't have much choice -- it's that or electric heat at 14.5 pence/kw.hour, and anyway I prefer to pay up front rather than later when the bill comes.

For paraffin, the cheapest place I have been able to find charges £1.10 per litre if you bring your own container. I have a 25 litre container I use for that purpose, which is about the heaviest thing I can lift in and out of the car. When I see heating oil (kerosene), which is virtually the same stuff, at about 25 pence per litre if you buy a tankful of the stuff from a truck I get the feeling I am being seriously ripped off. I have called every home heating oil supplier I can find in my area and asked if they will let me walk in and fill my can, pay cash and go - but none will. It's all home delivery only, and 500l minimum.

Anyone have any ideas how I can buy kero for a reasonable price? I use a lot of it, and I'm sick of paying even more for it than for petrol, when the petrol price is mostly tax and surely kero just carries regular VAT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport