your baby can read

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
64 replies 5K views
blaque*angelblaque*angel Forumite
1.2K Posts
✭✭✭
what do you think of this? my friend has it for her 3 year old- and she can read VERY well.

http://www.yourbabycan.co.uk/default.aspx

i'm wondering if i should make up my own set? moneysaving and all? ;)

Replies

• BeclesBecles Forumite
    13.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I taught mine to read at home using various random things like labels on tins and packets, shop signs, road signs, home made flash cards and so on. It was always more of a game than a lesson. We also had loads of books and I read to them often. Once they could read some words, I'd follow along with my finger and pause when it was a word they knew so they could say it. They've been in the library since a young age too to vary the choice of books.

I certainly wouldn't pay £125 for some sort of system, when there's more than enough stuff you can do at home.

The only downside was, when they got to school, they found the reading books boring. They started off with books with no words in and you just had to talk about the pictures as some children had never looked at books before.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • LJMLJM Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    wow how expensive my LO's both learnt to read very early on from books or annuals etc they recieved as gifts and books from library we also used the jolly phonics resources from ELC which were the letter and sound cards they cost us £5 at the time but were used so much. you can easily make up these using printoffs from the net and variuos other places,i cant get over just how expensive that is am still reeling from shock !!!!
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • edited 1 December 2009 at 11:07AM
    Lunar_EclipseLunar_Eclipse Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    edited 1 December 2009 at 11:07AM
    what do you think of this? my friend has it for her 3 year old- and she can read VERY well.

http://www.yourbabycan.co.uk/default.aspx

i'm wondering if i should make up my own set? moneysaving and all? ;)

I think it looks really good, but I naturally want to fight against all this pushy parenting, because that is exactly what schemes like this tap in to. Most children learn how to read; many before they get to school.

I agree with the poster that said early readers find school reading books incredibly boring. Both my children could read before they went to school and eldest, at a few days off being five, had to return to picture books. :o My eldest could read well at three, but it was my youngest, who showed interest at about 4 1/2, who is naturally the better reader. She was fluent well within a year.

I'm not convinced with their argument about age on this one, from my experience, albeit with (only) two children.

I don't think it would do any harm, but I think time could be much better spent with pre-schoolers, and we never had enough time! Read to them, bake, dance, walk, explore nature by den and dam building, climb trees, draw, create with playdough etc. Who wants to listen to learning to read CDs? There is a lot of time for academia and structured learning; I'd focus on having fun which will have knock-on educational effects. Just my two pennies.
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    way too expensive to keep up with your mates.

you can teach your child how to read yourself, bit of card black pen and some blue tac to pin them to the items. and free books to loan from the local library
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Children learn to read by showing them the world around them, talking to them, listening to them, not by some expensive gimmick imho.
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • hells_2hells_2 Forumite
    297 Posts
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Children learn to read by showing them the world around them, talking to them, listening to them, not by some expensive gimmick imho.
    Indeed!
    I learned to read sat on my dad's knee, reading along with him with his copy of the Manchester Evening News.

Aged 3.

Could read and write well before I went to school/nursery.
    :cool:
  • Not to sure about this reading thing? My daughter has just started reception in sept and she has started to read. In fact she brought her very first reading book home last night. We went through it ( several times) and she is doing really well. Now i consider (as we all do im sure) that my girl is bright and she seems to be one of the first to get a book as it depends on abilitys etc seen by the teacher.

Just wonder how she would be if she was already reading and so far ahead of the rest that she is not part of the class. Would that be worse?
  • Sublime_2Sublime_2 Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    I don't think its necessary. Its a good idea, but probably nothing different from what you probably do at home anyway. My children love books. My DD is 5 and is a very good reader, and likes to read her bedtime story herself. :rolleyes:

Making your own flash cards is a great idea. I always meant to get some, but never got around to it.

The thing is each child progresses differently. My DD could say shapes, colours, and some numbers, and was very chatty at 18 months. My son is completely different, more into physical activities, although he loves books.
  • consultant31consultant31 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loads of free flashcards here http://www.eslflashcards.com/
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • Just a question to confuseddad - did you say that you child is in reception and she is the first one to bring a reading book home last night??

If I were you I would be asking her teacher why she has not had a reading book sooner?? We have almost finished the first term.

My son started in reception this year and was not reading before he started. He hs now progressed through a number of levels and is reading well - as are many of his classmates.

Imho children need to learn through play at home and at pre-school - get them excited about the world around them and let them explore, but if they are ready to read then the school needs to allow this to happen.

Op do not spend silly money on a daft scheme - this is playing on the panic that parents have for their child to be one step ahead of their peers. If you want to encourage your child to read before school age then prepare them with phonetical awareness which will be a great foundation for reading at school - ie I spy games, what does book begin with? create boxes with 's' objects in etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides