2 bags of semolina, what use are they?

New Post Advanced Search

2 bags of semolina, what use are they?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
55 replies 22.3K views
NoozanNoozan Forumite
1.1K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I remember we used to get a semolina pudding (or at least that's what we were told it was :p ) served with raspberry jam. I have half a bag of semolina in my cupboard, how do I make the pudding? If I remember correctly; it was a long time since I was at school, it was like a pale version of custard.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....

Replies

• ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    According to the instructions on the packet of semolina in my cupboard:

2oz semolina
    1pt semi-skimmed milk
    1oz caster sugar

Preheat oven to Gas 6

Heat semolina and milk in large pan; bring to the boil, stirring continuously

Simmer gently 2 mins or until thickened, stirring to prevent sticking

Remove from heat; stir in sugar

Pour into ovenproof dish and put in oven 30 mins or until lightly browned.

You can also cook it in the microwave:

Put semolina and 2oz milk in large bowl and mix to smooth paste

Add the rest of the milk - cook on full power 5 mins; stir.

Cook for 2 mins; stir again

Cook for 2 mins; add sugar

Leave to stand 2 mins before serving (additional stirring will also be beneficial)

Bet you wish you had my skill in reading Whitworths' packets!!
  • tillytot_2tillytot_2 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    22 posts
    Ooh, Semolina, Must Give That A Try. Not Had It For Years.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • I make semolina all the time for the kids.
    I just follow the instructions given above, but dont bother with the oven bit(waste of leccy!). The school semolina never went in the oven!
  • greenlogogreenlogo Forumite
    231 posts
    We used to call semolina lumpy custard :D - loved it with a banana chopped through it and it was yumee
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • how about st irring a few squares of choccie through the cooked semolina. yummy,just like school:D
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can make a really lovely semolina cake by cooking the semolina as per packet instructions, in milk, let it cool a bit then add a couple of beaten eggs, sugar, sultanas (or any other dried fruit you have in the cupboard) also nuts etc go well with it, then put the mix in a well greased cake tin and bake until it is golden on top - it will be ready when you stick the knife in and it comes out dry-ish.

Sorry for vague instructions but I have always made it on the hoof, without recipe, so I have no idea of exact quantities etc...

It is very nutricious for children because of the eggs and milk and if you put enough sultanas you needn't put a lot of sugar, so you can make it even healthier!

Enjoy!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • For some reason maybe it was a recipe I had that is not to be found now, I bought 2 bags of semolina, nobody likes the pudding I could make with them any suggestions please? trying to use up items in the cupboard instead of going shopping!
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help with ideas, I hate the stuff, but Caterina posted a recipe for Semolina cake here.

Pink
  • I put semolina recipes in google and got quite a few results. Halva and this
    http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=semolina,
    Also have a recipe for a cake made with semolina.

5 eggs
    finely grated rind of 1 lemon
    8 oz caster sugar
    4 oz semolina
    4 oz ground almonds
    a pinch of baking powder
    1/4 pt water
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tbsp sesame seeds

Use an 8 " deep cake tin. Break the egg whites into a large bowl and put the yolks in another. Add the grated lemon rind to the yolks, with the caster sugar. Whisk until pale and add semolina,ground almonds, baking powder and water, whisk until smooth. Add the salt to the egg whites and whisk until soft peak. USing a metal spoon fold them into the yolk mix. pour into tin, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 40-45 mins.
    Meanwhile make syrup.
    6 oz granuleted sugar
    2 tbsp honey
    1/2 pt water
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    Put sugar and honey in saucepanwith water, dissolve then bowl fiercly for 4/5 mins. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Put pan in sink of cold water to cool.

When the cake is ready, remove from oven, but leave in tin. Spoon syrup over cake letting it sink in. When cake is cool remove and serve

• SazboSazbo Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭