Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

A BT question...

in Phones & TV
15 replies 1.3K views
I've put an offer on a house and we are hoping to complete Dec 23rd in order to avoid stamp duty. The house has been gutted and re-done by a developer and has no BT line, no sockets or anything.

My partner and myself basically live on the internet one way or another and would therefore want the line in asap to get the broadband sorted. What i'm thinking is that we get the keys on the 23rd, BT isn't gonna fit the line til after christmas...

So, my solution... I wonder if i ask the vendor whether he would be happy for BT to install the line etc on the condition that we pay for it. I understand it would be £122.50 (i don't think we could take advantage of the free connection offer as 1) the vendor won't want to enter into an 18 month contract with BT as he's selling and 2) we won't want our names on the bill either, just incase it all falls through) and so we are happy to pay the connection charge instead.

From the vendors POV i can see this would be a hassle, waiting in for BT and possible arranging it etc, but at the same time if we are happy to pay it would utlimately be an extra selling point for him if our purchase didn't go ahead for whatever reason.

So, if you were the vendor, what would you say?? In addition - if the BT rep is about, would BT have any objection to us doing this?? Neither of us would want to enter into any calling contracts just yet - we just want to get the line in place...

Any advice, alternatives or thoughts welcome!

Loopy :)

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Even exchanging contracts doesn't mean the sale will go ahead (just that the buyer will lose their 5% or 10% deposit if the transaction doesn't proceed to completion).

Imagining myself as the seller, I'd refuse (too much hassle for too little return).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Why dont you get yourself a 3g/gprs usb stick. The banwidth probably isnt up to broadband speed but it would get you over the initial period with no BT line. Most of the mobile phone operators do them, some will give you a discount if you have a mobile phone contract. Even if you use it for the first month only they are handy to have.

Cheers
    Al
  • Thanks for the responses :)

The dongle won't work for us, the bandwidth just isn't there :(

I kind of agree with you Heinz, if i was the seller i don't know if i'd agree either!
  • Can't hurt you to ask the seller, to be honest, and if it's in your name and the direct debit is coming out of your account then it's more of a risk to you then to them.

Also, Plusnet are doing line installations for half-price (£49.99) atm until Jan 31st if that helps.
  • Well as an update, have spoken to the seller and he has no objections, only problem is BT tie you into a contract upon installation. However, have spoken to BT, they can book us in for installation (free if we take an 18 month contract) for xmas eve (day after we are meant to move!) which can be cancelled up until 23rd Dec with no charge...

Might be the best way forward! Thanks for you help everyone.
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Hi loopyanna, whoever applies for service is responsible for paying the bill and adhering to the terms & conditions of the service and the contract. You would need to make sure that the seller is comfortable with this. I agree that the best thing to do is to go ahead and apply to get the lne connected in your own name on the 24/12/2009 and if the purchase fails to complete you will know I am sure by the 23rd and will be able to cancel. When you get a reference number let me know and I will check to make sure all is OK.

Many Thanks
    Donna
    BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Many thanks Donna.

Once ordered i will get you the reference number.

:)
  • Well to update, spoke to BT, all ordered and due to be installed on xmas eve between 1-6pm. Can cancel with no charge up to midday on 23rd. Free installation offer was given without a question.

Donna if you see this, then great praise to a scottish lady called Alison who answered my call!

Thanks.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As an old cynic - a BT engineer between 1-6 on Xmas Eve ??? Only if you're moving to a Pub! GOOD LUCK ANYWAY!!!
  • loopyanna wrote: »
    Well to update, spoke to BT, all ordered and due to be installed on xmas eve between 1-6pm. Can cancel with no charge up to midday on 23rd. Free installation offer was given without a question.

I'd check that when you get your first bill - I got "free" installation, but apparently at the cost of increased monthly charges and a longer contract length - neither of which I agreed to. It's been 6 months and BT have yet to sort it out despite *countless* letters, emails and phone calls.

Save yourself a bunch of hassle and go elsewhere. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals