Legal standing on used car sales

Options
Hi,

I just brought myself a 2nd hand, car and engine all seemed in tip top condition. took it for a test drive and everything seemed perfect. i was very happy to exchange my hard earned cash for the car.

on driving it home, an engine warning light came up. i didnt think it would be a big deal, so i arranged for a mechanic mate to give it a service and a once over.

Turns out the Head Gaskett has gone, so i phoned the garage and he really couldnt give a sh*t. told me he sell me the car with no warrenty and i can basically (wont complete the sentance he said, but it involved monkeys...)

Where do i stand, what can i do? i accept its a 2nd hand car and only cost me
£750. i've just had the repairs quoted and its gonna be about £250.

Any advice greatly received.

Comments

• hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    make model fuel type year?
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Lemonade_Pockets
    Options
    I would send him a copy of the SOGA and a strongly worded letter (recorded delivery) telling him that you will be expecting a repair or a reimbursement within 7days.

Also point out failure to do so will result in you pursuing him via the small claims court.

Tis about as much as you can do with someone like that.
  • Lemonade_Pockets
    Options
    hartcjhart wrote: »
    make model fuel type year?

Tenner says its a rover
  • Sidmon
    Sidmon Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Tenner says its a rover

Or a mid/late 90's Vauxhall! :rotfl:
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sidmon wrote: »
    Or a mid/late 90's Vauxhall! :rotfl:

Or a Fiat, probably a Punto :D
  • syromaniac
    Options
    Lemonade Pokets, your right its a rover..... but a honda engined one, so thought i'd be alright... I will send him a copy of soga and a try my luck with my letter

Its a m reg rover 216, 1.6 coupe
  • Lemonade_Pockets
    Options
    syromaniac wrote: »
    Lemonade Pokets, your right its a rover..... but a honda engined one, so thought i'd be alright... I will send him a copy of soga and a try my luck with my letter

Its a m reg rover 216, 1.6 coupe

Dammit i was going to say a 216 as well. Now who do i see about my tenner?

I'm sorry to hear about it. I've not got much time right now but have a look at the SOGA

There is at least one article by martin about it in relation to cars and plenty of threads if you do a search. Failing that i'm sure someone else can give you more pointers if need be.
  • syromaniac
    Options
    There should be a tenner coming out of your printer right now....

I'm looking up soga at the moment, not much about used cars. but its something i can work with.

thanks for the advice :)
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sorry but I dont think you will have much joy with soga,you would have to prove that he new or had a reason to believe the headgasket was going,

I think the best bet would write to him asking him to pay 50% of the repair and perhaps say that you will take it further if he does not agree
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    hartcjhart wrote: »
    sorry but I dont think you will have much joy with soga,you would have to prove that he new or had a reason to believe the headgasket was going,

I think the best bet would write to him asking him to pay 50% of the repair and perhaps say that you will take it further if he does not agree

That is utter !!!!

Its not reasonable to expect a car even that old to be dead (and it is basically) when you buy it.

OP reject the car under the soga as its not fit for the purpose or durable. It is then for the dealer to prove otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure