PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ice cream without eggs

Options
Can I make ice cream without having to make the egg custard base? If I just flavoured some whipped up double cream and froze it would it go all grainy or would it be ok? I have got an ice cream maker but very few recipes!

Comments

• recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    You can make woderful Italian style white vanilla ice cream in an ice cream amker with skimmed milk, milk powder, vanilla extract and sugar. You need four tbs of milk powder for a pint of milk and sugar to taste, plus a tsp of vanilla. I have made it lots of times and sometimes I add mashed strawberries, blueberries, banana or other fruit (stewed apple and cinnamon is nice). I saw it made on Pebble Mill at one years ago by a TV cook called Sue Kreitzman (she did low-fat cookery). You just mix up all the ingredients and churn. It won't work if you don't use an ice cream maker though.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow, icecream completely out of storecupboard ingredients - sounds too good to be true, I'll definitely try this recipe out....
  • poppycracker
    poppycracker Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that recoveringspendaholic, I'm definately going to be on the lookout for an icecream maker now!!!
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    u can liquidise some strawberries (or other berries etc) and pour it into the maker with whpping cream and u wil make ice cream

u can add sweetener if its not sweet enough .. i use a syrup sweetener myself... if u arent weightwatching use anything else to sweeten

HTH
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry to bore on about my dd who is allergic to eggs yet again,but egg-free ice cream is obviously something I've had experience with:rolleyes:

I made strawberry ice cream in an ice-cream maker last week very much the same way as Shykins.Blend a punnet of strawberries,add icing sugar(dissolves easily),stir in 1/2 a pint whipped cream and 1/2 a pint yogurt.Pour in ice cream maker and churn till frozen.Was delicious.

Obviously you can use other fruit in the same way.What I don't think would work is chocolate or coffee or vanilla ice cream without egg custard as a base.However it might work with a carton of custard (which doesn't contain eggs).

Someone mentioned Sue Kreitzman,the low-fat guru.I have all her books! That's not to say I cook low-fat btw.Her method of making ice cream involves using frozen fruit.You put frozen berries/cubes of frozen mango/banana/pineapple etc in a food processor.Add some sugar/jam and blitz ,add some sort of dairy product whilst the motor is running.Sue K uses low-fat fromage frais but you could use yogurt, or cream.Instant ice cream!

This method is very good and invites experimentation.You do need to eat it immediately, though because if you freeze it, it sets rock hard.

Btw you do need sugar I find, with ice cream even if the fruit is sweet because freezing dulls the sweetness.;) HTH
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    ... This is a copy of a post I made back in May '05 (Original post by Queenie) The Orange Ice Cream requires nothing more than orange juice cream and sugar. No ice cream maker required.

The second recipe (chocolate) I've included for those who *can* eat ice cream made from an egg custard base, but don't own an ice-cream maker.
    Queenie wrote:
    Orange Ice Cream (Serves 4)

300ml - 1/2 pint double cream, whipped
    300ml - 1/2 pint orange juice
    50g - 2oz caster sugar

Put the cream in a bowl, add half the OJ and stir until evenly blended.
    Stir in the remaining OJ, a little at a time.
    Fold in the sugar.

To Freeze: spoon the mixture into a rigid container, cover and freeze for about 1 hour. Stir it well, then, seal, label and return to freezer.

To Thaw & Serve: transfer to the fridge for 15mins until softened slightly.

Chocolate Ice Cream (Serves 4)
    (more work than the above, but worth it!)

300ml - 1/2 pint milk
    75g - 3oz sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    75g - 3oz chocolate, melted
    300ml - 1/2 pint double cream, lightly whipped
    Put milk and sugar in a pan, heat slowly until the sugar is dissolved, then pour onto the beaten eggs, stirring constantly.
    Return the mixture back to rinsed out pan and heat gently until the custard thickens, stirring constantly.
    Strain into a bowl, then stir in the melted chocolate.
    Leave to cool.
    Fold in the whipped cream, until evenly blended.

To Freeze: Spoon into a rigid container, then cover with foil. Seal, label and freeze.
    To Thaw & Serve: Transfer to the fridge for about 30mins to soften slightly.
    I bought a carton of double cream reduced price so basically was able to make both ice creams for minimal cost!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MrsRotty
    MrsRotty Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I made some ice-cream today without the eggs! A tub of double cream, drained tinned strawbs, a sprinkling of caster sugar, and a dribble of the strawberry syrup - whisked in a bowl, then poured into my ice-cream maker. Luvverly!
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I've sucssesfully made ice-cream using half whipped cream and half custard made with custard powder. I don't think custard powder has eggs in it. There aren't any on the igredients list but it does contain "flavourings" which I suppose could be just about anything!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Custard powder doesn't contain eggs.Eggs definitely have to be declared on ingredients list,presumably because they are a common allergen.It is basically just yellow cornflour.

Incidentally Alfred Bird of Bird's Custard fame invented the stuff because his wife was allergic to eggs.Way to go Alf:T
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    kittiwoz wrote:
    I've sucssesfully made ice-cream using half whipped cream and half custard made with custard powder. I don't think custard powder has eggs in it. There aren't any on the igredients list but it does contain "flavourings" which I suppose could be just about anything!

Custard powder is basically, cornflour based with a smidgen of colouring ;) = no eggs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business