We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

** Jock_Tight** mortgage free diary

Options

Comments

• Jock_Tight
    Options
    ajmoney, I actually sat down yesterday and read my own diary from the start! It was great to seeing the numbers drop down and it brought back the memories of breaking through the milestones: into the 30's, 20's, teens, single figure thousands......

Cant believe how quickly the last three years have flown in, if I had a version number on my master spreadsheet it would be well into double figures as its been tweaked, adjusted so many times.

Original plan was to aim to be mortgage free before I turned 40 on Jan 2013. Then we joined the MFiT-T2 challenge so that meant aiming for Dec 2012. More tweaks and we could manage November, then end of October, then start of October!
    5/10/12 : Mortgage Free :)
  • Jock

Your diary was one of the first I ever read and its very inspiring. Only a few days to go - how exciting!
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read the whole of your diary now, I am very impressed. I have signed up for the next MFiT challenge although with £179,115 to pay off we will not be doing anything as dramatic as you in that time frame. I have signed up to pay off the larger mortgage, currently at £139,563 and bring it under 100K. The difference for me is DH isn't fully on board so I think I need to try and show him some figures. Our OPs which are restarting this weekend will pay that mortgage off 7 and a half years early in time for my contract ending with work and we already have enough in savings between us to clear the smaller mortgage but the interest rate is very low so are not worrying about that.

I am guessing you have a nice amount in savings now too, a good feeling I bet.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £600/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15893.61/£22787.04
  • nattypants
    nattypants Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely inspirational Jock_Tight.

I am working my way through diaries, and am so impressed with your strategy towards mortgage freedom.

When my current mortgage arrangement expires - a year from now unfortunately, I am definitely going to look at the 'off-set' route.

ajmoney - I'm just away to start your diary!

NP:D
    February13 - £74990 (or thereabouts)
    MND - Let's go for 2020 'cos it's got a nice ring to it:D
    C'mon nattypants:cool:
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nattypants wrote: »
    ajmoney - I'm just away to start your diary!

It is not as exciting a read, though hopefully from this weekend that should change.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £600/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15893.61/£22787.04
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    6 days to go :j
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    This time next week....:beer:
  • hildosaver
    Options
    Well done!!
    I am insane and have 4 mortgages - total mortgage debt £200k. Target to zero = 10 years! (2030)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Nearly there :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Jock_Tight
    Options
    5 days to go ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business