We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Store cupboard challenge

1…104105107109110…466

Comments

  • Tinned peach crumble was a Jane Grigson recipe or the fruit cobbler - I think it was on Black Saturns thread works well with tinned fruit.

    I think you'll find it was Chipps who first intoduced fruit cobbler to Old Style :p:D

    Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,260 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Smoked pork sausage cassulet

    Chop and fry an onion. Add a bit of garlic. Some herbs of choice.
    Chop a smoked pork sausage and add to the onions. Fry a little.

    Open any 3 random tins of cooked beans (but not baked beans ;) - I like butter beans, kidney beans and then one other type of smaller white bean). Drain and add to the pan. Stir, Add a tin of chopped tomatoes or a carton of passata (my preference).

    Stir. Cook for 5-10 minutes till all is hot.


    Serves 4 when served with garlic bread ;)
    Newlywed at the point I joined the forum... now newly separated
  • lola34
    lola34 Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    I found a fab website, there is a link from MSE somewhere, called cooking by numbers (or something like that), it gives you a list of ingredients and you can tick off what you have in the cupboard and it then brings up all the different recipies you can make.;)
  • That sounds brilliant Olliebeak! I'm going to try that! :)
    Wendy x
  • Red dragon pie would make use of the Adzuki beans and it is tasty too!


    http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/recipes/bredrago.htm
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/thebeanybutterbeanpa_6541.shtml

    Butterbean pate recipe


    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/517230 Butterbean, chorizo and tomato stew

    http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/aduki.htm Aduki bean cottage pie - (vegan but do it to suit your tastes)

    http://www.wellbeing-nutrition.com/recipes2.htm scroll down for a chilli made with aduki beans. I have had them in burgers too. Yum!
  • My teenage boys often make themselves a quick lunch from a tin of tomato soup mixed with a tin of beans, any variety from your list would do, but not the peaches :eek: !!

    Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Mander
    Mander Posts: 65 Forumite
    lil_me wrote: »
    I also found wholemeal organic breadflour a couple of months out of date, would you use it? I am thinking try it in a small loaf/rolls, see what comes out like. I have used flour a week or so out of date but not that far I don't think.

    Flour has a use-by date? I've never noticed. ;)

    I made whole wheat yeast bread a couple of weeks ago from packets of yeast plus half a bag of flour that have been around for at least two years. It was all stored in a cool dark place in airtight containers. The bread was fine and got lots of compliments.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I've also used flour that has been in my cupboard for AGES !
    Just check it doesn't have any little black weevils moving around in it !
    If there arn't any, it should be OK. As Mander, says, if the flour has been stored in airtight containers, it should be OK.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.