Problems with mobility scooter - are "puncture proof" tyres the answer?

Options
Trader solicited a visit to my parents' home to demonstrate a mobility scooter and refused to leave without a firm order that day for a particular make/model. Scooter delivered about a week later (approx. 3 months ago now) and a cheque for 50% of £2K cost taken as part payment on delivery with remainder to be paid in monthly instalments over course of the next few months (some payments still outstanding). Not quite sure how he got the lead to my parents' in the first place and, conveniently, he seems to have forgotten as well by now !!

Almost immediately problems started with punctures/faulty tyres such that already 3 out of 4 have required attention. Trader has re-attended on two separate occasions although not based locally in an attempt to "sort the issue out). He provided 2 new inner tubes - they are pneumatic tyres not solid infilled standard rubber ones and has offered a further 2 inner tubes only free of charge but that's it.

The main and probably only leverage we have with the trader, as a consumer, is that he has handwritten on the delivery note that in addition to providing the scooter he was providing additional accessories that normally have to be paid for and "puncture proof tyres" the latter of which turn out to be solid infilled tyres and not pneumatic ones.

We have therefore written to trader advising him that his offer of 4 tyre tubes for pneumatic tyres by way of a resolution are refused and that, instead we want him to source and pay for a full set of 4 solid infilled tyres instead (and have these professionally fitted, again at his own expense). Trader is seeking to rely on terms of warranty from manufacturer that states tyres, bulbs, battery etc. are all excluded on the basis that these are normal wear and tear items and he has already gone "over and above the call of duty to assist the customer" at his own expense and in his own time.

We have given him 14 days within which to respond to this request, failing which the matter will be reported to Trading Standards on the basis that the original tyres are not "as described" at point of sale nor "fit for purpose", more specifically to be used out of doors in a standard urban builti-up environment, on pavements only (this is a luxury 4mph Class 2 mobility scooter we are speaking about here - Pride Celebrity X is the make and model although Pride inform me that it has been discontinued which might explain why I can still find adverts for it online both here in the UK and overseas at substantially less money than the £2k my father has, technically speaking, agreed to pay for it.

Would appreciate some opinions from Consumers here as to whether they find in favour of the trader or the customer in these circumstances. It surely cannot just be "down to bad luck", particularly when no foreign matter which may have caused the punctures in the first place have been discovered in the tyres/tubes on more than one occasion, then it was thorns from a roadside bush which had recently been trimmed but not yet cleared away by people doing the work.

Look forward to reading your responses on this one folks. Thanks in advance for your help and assistance with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure