PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Home made lasagna - with lentils!!!

Options
Yep I finally braved it and made home made lasagna adding lentils to my mince :) And I served it up to the OH and asked him to tell me what was in it that wasn't normally... He thought I meant the mushrooms and I had to actually tell him there were lentils in the mince before he spotted them... Then he went and had seconds!!! :rotfl:

I've got some for lunch today and I think I will freeze the last 2 portions and then use the left over mince sauce (I added a few more lentils than I thought giving me rather a large pan full lol!) to make chilli for me tonight :) so one large meal, lunch, dinner again, and 2 freezer meals - not bad really for about £4 :)
DFW Nerd #025
DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey

Comments

• Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Ooo, that sounds really nice. I'll have to have a search later to see if I can find the recipe - was it on here or just something you tried? My brood love lasagne but I tend not to make it as it proves rather expensive (especially as my lot eat all of it when it's meant to serve 8)
    Glad your OH enjoyed it - guess it'll be on the menu again?
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That is a great idea, i often add grated carrot to our mince to bulk it out and to get extra goodness into the children, so lentils is another great way of doing both!!!!!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I kinda make it up as I go usually :) the only "cheat" in it is the white sauce :) I buy that ready made ;)

I used red lentils (the colour means it's difficult to spot) adn about 3 large handfulls (I don't do pecision cooking btw lol) and wash first then put in a pan with cold water and boil up skimming any scum off the top. Takes about 25 mins.
    Take chopped onions (i use about 2 handfulls), and about 3 cloves of garlic that are chopped and sweat in a pan with a little oil. Then add the mince and cook. When the mince is nearly done add the cooked lentils. Stir well and add fresh herbs if you have them otherwise use oregano, thyme, rosemary and anything else you like :). Add Wochestershire sauce (a good glug!), about 2 spoons of gravy granuals, 2 tins of tinned tomatos, a healthy dollop of tomato pure (tescos own works just fine) and I add a splash of redwine :)

Once cooked through then just assemble the lasagna as usual and cook in the oven at 200c until the middle bubbles. Add some grated cheddar and return to the oven until the cheese is melted :)

I know that looks awfully complicated but I promise you it isn't :) Bulk it out with any veg you fancy like peppers, mushrooms, courgette, parboiled carrots etc :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • garret1
    garret1 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    I have started putting red lentils in all my tomato based sauces and brown ones in moince and tatties and shepherds pie. We all now prefer it that way!!!
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Had a rummage around the cupboard but couldn't find any lentils to throw in todays bolognese. I'll make sure I buy some in next weeks shop and give it a go - anything that makes it go a bit further is a help. :D
    I tend to throw a scoop of oats into my bolognese - but today I used value toms and noticed the colour isn't as rich as usuall - it looks a bit anaemic. I guess I could add tomato puree, but then the added cost defeats the point of using the cheaper toms. Perhaps I'd be better sticking to my usual Asda own chunky chopped?:confused:
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have started to add balsamic vinegar to tomaot based sauce rather than red wine as its much cheaper. Kaz, this would add some colour to your sauce.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family