IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

MSE News: Rail fares to rise in January

in Motoring
16 replies 1.5K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Some will see costs drop but rail fares will rise by 1.1% on average in January, it was announced today ..."

Read the full story:
Rail fares to rise in January
OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shock, horror! Train companies to revise prices at the start of new year.

They've never done that before have they? :rolleyes:
    Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union, says: "No matter how the train operators spin these figures, the travelling public know the privatisation of the railways is nothing more than a taxpayer-sponsored rip-off that hits them in the pocket while delivering an inferior service.
    So now the east coast service has now been re-nationalised we will see an improved service and less cost to the taxpayer. Hmmm...
    http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSL342910320091103
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • In all fairness, since fuel costs have continued to rise (and will increase even more when the tax changes are implemented at the end of this year) who seriously expected prices to come down? And the regular fares review is always around the New Year.
    Fight Crime : Shoot Back.

It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.

Support your local First Response Group, you might need us one day.
  • I agree, the train companies haven't much choice but to put the ticket prices up. After all, if not to cover their costs, they need more money to invest in greener ways of operating the trains that will eventually cost less. We'd hope, anyway.

In the meantime, a journey from London to York that costs £40-£50 odd per person by train, costs economical drivers about £40 just to get the car up there on its own, no matter how many passengers. It's cheaper to clog up the motorways. Sorry, Gordon.
  • TygermothTygermoth Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have always used the occasional bus but mainly cycled/walked to work.

However due to a job relocation I now have to use the trains to commute.

After doing this for a year I have to admit the service is truly dire and very expensive for what it is. (In my case a usually late and wholly unreliable service)

So sadly as of Jan I will be buying my first car as believe it or not its CHEAPER, though my travel time at the worst will remain the same (50 mins using worst case senario of being sat in standstill traffic most nights) I will be forty pounds per month better off with all car running costs included and a amount put away for unexpected bills/MOT.

Go for the green initiative....
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come the first snowfall, watch all those ex-train passengers who decide to drive because of a 1% rise in annual fares, jump back straight on the train. Same happens every year :D

Petrol appears to be going up on average about 1% per week at present, not per year. Saw Tesco had added another 1p per litre as I drove past this morning.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • TygermothTygermoth Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Where snowfall is concerned, yes I may take the occasional train.

However the rise in train prices is neither here nor there in relation to the decision to become a two car household.

The price of petrol would have to go up massively to be more expensive than what I pay now...

And even I bought a lemon its still on probability would be more reliable than the service I am currently experiencing.

Tyger
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Where do you travel to/from Tygermoth? be interesting to find out.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • Premier wrote: »
    Come the first snowfall, watch all those ex-train passengers who decide to drive because of a 1% rise in annual fares, jump back straight on the train. Same happens every year :D

Assuming of course that the trains are running when there is snow!
  • edited 17 November 2009 at 11:38AM
    TygermothTygermoth Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2009 at 11:38AM
    I travel from Basingstoke to Reading return.

Due to the way the timetable/shifts are structured unfortunately I have a 39 min wait after my shift ends at Reading (this i understand is no fault of BR :D)

Due to the present 'unsettled' work climate/locations I can only purchase daily train tickets this comes to £7 per day.

Does that help?

Tyger :o
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    29.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Does that help?
    No. Probably not. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides