British Gas Boiler Installation - Complaint

Options
Plasticman
Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
A word of warning first - this post is a bit long because the first part is a bit of a vent! If you're in a hurry and just want to get to the point then feel free to jump to the last paragraph!

Our elderly neighbour had her boiler replaced by British Gas last week. When I dropped in to visit her today, there was a strong smell of gas from the cupboard under the stairs. I turned off the gas and called the emergency gas callout number.

When I looked in the cupboard, it looked to me (admittedly no expert!) like a complete bodge. The pipe from the meter heading upstairs was at an angle so that it was not square in the compression joint. The pipe wasn’t properly fixed to the wall so it was waving around and the bracket for the meter had been removed (presumably to get the pipes to fit) and the meter was basically left floating in air held up by one pipe which had a joint in it.

The gas man turned up and confirmed that gas was “p*ssing out” from the poorly fitted compression joint. He said that the installation was unsafe and that he should really disconnect it, but that we would carry out a temporary repair rather than leave an OAP without and heating or hot water.

I told my neighbour that I would contact British Gas for her tomorrow and get them back to correct their shoddy work. I would have contacted them tonight but I was really wound up that they could leave such a dangerous installation – I didn’t want to end up losing my rag on the phone. I have calmed down slightly now and just feel grateful that she hasn’t blown herself up!

So – the point of my post (other than needing to vent) is to ask whether anybody knows which number I should be contacting British Gas on to complain and get them back to sort out the mess. I’ve looked on their website and British Gas seem to be nearly as many phone numbers as they have customers……………..
If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Comments

• Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Options
    Area Service Centre - 0800 2948 650

That is shocking if they have done that an OAP.

These guys will be able to send a complaint to a higher authority for it to be investigated (A senior engineer will inspect the work.)

Its really sad the the old woman trusted the "gas board" to do the work and it has ended up like this.

please update on results
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. I will give it a try and see where what happens.
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    British Gas sub-contract some of their work to 'trusted' contractors.

You really want to make a huge fuss about this!

How about contacting Watchdog or a newspaper?
  • Mynewt
    Mynewt Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly this will just one cas eof many the press and watchdog will likely have heard about, but by all means speak with them to add further weight to their research.

While BGAS control the majority of the Central Heating Maintenance market, they are not the only company involved. As soon as the repair has been compelted get away from them, do a little research and find a company with a high first time fix rate, whose complaints are at a low level and whose repair time is also low.

(I can't remember the excact figures but i beleive BGAS's complaints are at a level of 26 per 1000, first time fix rate is 81% and time to repair is at 5 days. I was given these during a briefing on my own company's mainteance contract earlier in the year so things may have changed somewhat - i just hope its for the better).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure