Medion - Dreadful Customer Service

Options
My sons medion notebook failed after 6 months. Either the hard drive or motherboard. Phoned and they arranged for a courier to collect, which they did a couple of days later. Medion sent a letter detailing the repair process. So far all well and good.

The letter stated that if after 14 working days I did not have my netbook back they would contact me to update. The 14 working days came and went and no word so I phoned the helpline in Swindon. They acknowledged its arrival and said it was in Germany being repaired (apparently they do all repairs there). Said they would look into how long it would be and phone me back. No phonecall.

I phoned a week later. This time I was told that the 14 working days was a typo and should have stated 14 working days after it got to Germany, which took 9 days after it had been collected! I did point out that even that timeframe had passed. This time they informed me that Germany were waiting for a hinge part to be delivered so it could be repaired. Odd given that the hinge was perfect when it left me. They again promised to get an update and get back to me. No phonecall.

Phoned a week later (this time I wasn't going to be fobbed off). Was told the hinge story again but this time it would seem that Germany were expecting me to pay for the hinge and had issued Medion with a bill to forward on. Medion in Swindon had told Germany that it was under the 12 month period and a bill was inapproriate. However it did appear that Germany were doing nothing until it was paid. They then admitted that the only way they are allowed to contact Germany was by email and basically they have no control on how long Germany took to get back to them. Was promised a phonecall later that day with an update. No phonecall.

Phoned the next day and they tried to tell me the same story again. This time I wasn't having it and demanded to be upscaled to someone who could do something. Was informed that there a netbook of same spec was in Swindon and that they would check it next day and if OK would send that one out. Promised to phone me.

No phonecall by 4 pm next day so I got back to them. Was told that the netbook replacement had been sent out to me that day. Then person from day before phoned and said the same. Great thought I.

Week later (today) still no netbook. I phone and by a fluke got Germany instead of Swindon. Germany inform me that my original netbook is with them and they were waiting for me to pay for a hinge I hadn't broken. There was noting on the system about a replacement. I phoned straight back and got Swindon who stated that my orginal netbook had been repaired and had been sent to be that day (the same one Germany said was sitting with them). They gave me a tracking number which I checked online and showed it was out for delivery today. Checked at work later and it showed as having been delivered. Got home and no delivery. I phoned Median and was told that it would be impossible to be delivered today as it had only left them today and proceeded to given me a different tracking number. When I queried was it my one repaired or a replacement one they had sent was told it was neither and instead they were sending a brand new one out!

I am at my wits end with these people. They don't do what they say they will, they lie about replacments being sent, they have no control over the repair process. Germany appear to do whatever they want and Swindon have no process or commmunication with them. When I point out the obvious flaws in their system all the assistants do it apoligise and agree that their system is basically crap.

I await tomorrow with no excitement whatsoever.

Comments

• danjones
    Options
    The wonderful world of Medion customer service! Did you buy this notebook from Aldi by any chance?
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where did you buy this notebook?

If it was through a retailer its up to them to sort it out.

Go back to the retailer and demand the issue to the sorted ASAP. You want a refund or replacement.
  • LeeSouthEast
    Options
    Good grief.. I bought a Medion (tower) from Toys R Us 6 years ago, and it's still going strong today. It would appear if you can get passed bad luck and manufacturing defects, you're onto a winner and only fail if you need help!

Good luck OP.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    Where did you buy this notebook?

If it was through a retailer its up to them to sort it out.

Go back to the retailer and demand the issue to the sorted ASAP. You want a refund or replacement.

I suspect that accepting that Median to sort it's up to the nothing to do with the retailer if Median has lost it, I suspect Aldi would have just sent it for repair anyway.

I would write a polite but strongly worded letter to Median UK head office. Use the good old threaten Court action ect.
  • dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Update. was bought from Sainsburys. Could not get them to take it back as the original receipt was lost. Sainsburys can only get details from your card transaction for a 6 month period and I was just over it. Medion however accepted the proof of a bank statement as proof of purchase, which was in their favour. Their whole taking it back process was first class. Its their what they do with it when they have it that was the problem

End result was that I got a new brand new one send back to me. However I still hold that their level of customer service is frankly complete rubbish. There is no way I would buy another of their computers or laptops.
  • LeeSouthEast
    Options
    Process: Rubbish.
    End Result: Result!
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • adlprint
    Options
    Medion are totally rubbish. I have a laptop which is only a few months old sent it back to be repaired (software issue). They smashed it up and then sent me a bill to repair it. After many complaints they have now agreed to pay for the repair that happened when they had it in there care. Total bunch of muppets they said this take 10days to repair I am now in 2nd month and still waiting. I will never buy from them again back to Dell for me. Good luck if your thinking using them.
  • boldilocks
    Options
    I ordered a computer from MedionUK on 11th June, and it arrived DOA on the 18th.
    Spent 2 days trying to speak to them on the phone (the returns line is constantly engaged). Emailed, no response, finally got hold of their switchboard number and the bloke said he would sort it.
    The computer was finally picked up on 6th July for replacement, and 3 weeks later I've still heard !!!!!! all. Repeated emails and phone calls have been ignored or fobbed off, as well as 2 letters of complaint to the top management. I've given them £350 and haven't got a computer, and now I'm having to write to the CEO in Germany in exasperation.

If you must buy a Medion, get it from Aldi, at least you can take it back if it doesn't work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure