Free solar power system. Is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    DonSwan wrote: »
    Now that the shorter days are upon us, and the sun is lower in the sky, I'd be interested to hear from panel owners (and roof leasers) how much power is being generated, used at home, and/or "fed in" to the grid. What if there's snow on the panels - do they generate anything then?

Around 40 units so far for Nov from a small system.

At this time of year with higher leccy use and lower output I would guess that we are using around 90% of the leccy.

Not had any snow here yet, but I would expect them not to be working when snow covered - to be honest, if its snowing the output is going to be so low anyway it doesn't really matter. And when the sun does come out (as it sometimes does, even in winter) the snow should soon melt.

In fact there could be some interesting results with the snow, in theory light reflecting from snow covered areas could in result in some very high outputs.
  • beedydad
    Options
    jsn999 wrote: »
    Thinking about installing pv panels.

I would hope they would increase the value of my house when I sell it

Selling your house with Solar PV already installed:-

1. With "free" or "rent a roof" - I think you may have a problem and would down value the property - simple reason being is that most people understand solar PV has a full FIT and if up to 90% is going to someone else ie the installation company then people wont be too happy that they will inherit a solar kit on their propoerty and get next to nowt!!!

Whereas:-
    2 You own the solar kit outright - and get the full FIT - now any potential purchaser would be very interested as they can see the long term income offsetting both their own energy use and any extra to offset mortgage/extra cost of house!

Which would you buy?

Regards
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Now that the shorter days are upon us, and the sun is lower in the sky, I'd be interested to hear from panel owners (and roof leasers) how much power is being generated, used at home, and/or "fed in" to the grid. What if there's snow on the panels - do they generate anything then?

Hopeless at the moment. Around 3.5 kWh today (and sunny most of the time) from a 4 kWp system. No snow here (yet). Quite a shallow roof pitch, though.
  • khris210
    Options
    I accidentally posted my experiences on the Utilities forum, but yesterday and today I generated 5.9 kw. Mixture of bright winter sun and snow. It is a 2.1 system, which I paid for.
  • DonSwan
    Options
    I bought my own panels in the summer and am very pleased with the output. However a free system? Two problems:

One, if you use the day/night Economy 7 tariff don't think you can automatically use your free electricity to power your dishwasher or washing machine. They use quite a lot of power for an hour or so. The English and Welsh weather is very erractic - a passing cloud will cost you money even on a good day - and in winter there might not be enough power even on a good day.

Two, in effect you have a sitting tenant on your roof when and if you come to sell: anyone who fancied buying a system for themselves won't be interested in your house.

But am I happy to have bought one? Yes - so far!

Is this your situation, Skeptic? Can you still have Economy 7 and receive the FIT payments?
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    What if there's snow on the panels - do they generate anything then?

Posted by Nang on the other thread:

"Not much energy gen going on first thing this morning, with 1 and a 1/2 inchs of snow on the panels.

But then the sun came out, the snow melted, it then slid off the panels and gave them all a good clean."
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this your situation, Skeptic? Can you still have Economy 7 and receive the FIT payments?

I've been told I can switch to it without charge, even with PV panels and receiving FIT payments. Not at all sure it makes sense to do so, though.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Gizmosmum_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2010 at 12:15AM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Hopeless at the moment. Around 3.5 kWh today (and sunny most of the time) from a 4 kWp system. No snow here (yet). Quite a shallow roof pitch, though.

Me too, but I reckon that's not too bad for end of November in the North West. We've still got quite a bit of shading because we haven't chopped our trees down yet - could do with some logs for the log burner ....
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • M4ximillion
    Options
    beedydad wrote: »
    Selling your house with Solar PV already installed:-

1. With "free" or "rent a roof" - I think you may have a problem and would down value the property - simple reason being is that most people understand solar PV has a full FIT and if up to 90% is going to someone else ie the installation company then people wont be too happy that they will inherit a solar kit on their propoerty and get next to nowt!!!

Read this

http://www.ashadegreener.co.uk/news/

Think all you doubters might be a bit hasty, looks like it helped that person to sell their home after all:D

Agree with you tho that if you have your own kit and getting the FITS yourself it would be even easier to sell but looks to me like either way might be more attractive than nothing at all so im even more pleased that im having the freebies. If we ever get rid of this snow:mad:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Read this

http://www.ashadegreener.co.uk/news/

Think all you doubters might be a bit hasty, looks like it helped that person to sell their home after all:D

Agree with you tho that if you have your own kit and getting the FITS yourself it would be even easier to sell but looks to me like either way might be more attractive than nothing at all so im even more pleased that im having the freebies. If we ever get rid of this snow:mad:

How do you deduce 'it helped'? It might have put off several people!!

One house was advertised as these panels provided electricity worth £400+ about 4 times more than most people will achieve.

All the 'doubters' have pointed out is that there are possible pitfalls to the 'rent a roof' scheme and the rewards are not that good.

The ASG scheme seems to be one of the better systems and they don't expect you to pay £500 and £5 a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure