Is this quote reasonable?

Options
We are looking to change our old oil fired boiler which is over 25 yrs old and inside house so a bit smelly, noisy and runs at only 83% efficiency.
We got a quote from a local oftec registered plumber to replace the boiler and also the old metal oil tank which is getting a bit rusty now.

The quote is to supply and install a 90,000 BTU condensing outdoor combi boiler and a second hand (3 yr old) 1200ltr single skin oil tank. The oil tank will need a new base. The quote for all is just over £3k ex vat and excl the electrical work but incl re-routing all necessary pipework and new programmer.

Just wondering if some of the knowledgeable people on here could give us an idea if thats a fair cost pls? Also are there any pertinent questions we should be asking?

Also, we are not married to the idea of oil due to costs and possible extra green levy in future, so really happy to hear any alternative ideas anyone has at a comparative cost.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A 25 year old boiler with an 83% efficiency? I assume you have this figure from the SEDBUK tables? I thought 65% to 70% was more the 'norm' 25 years ago.

Anyway it makes no sense to replace a boiler to get another 10%-12% efficiency. Especially as the work is going to cost £4,000. The other problems are of course up to you to tolerate or not.

Assuming you have no gas in the area, it seems the only alternative is to get an Air Source Heat Pump(ASHP)
  • ccluedo
    ccluedo Posts: 443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2009 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    A 25 year old boiler with an 83% efficiency? I assume you have this figure from the SEDBUK tables? I thought 65% to 70% was more the 'norm' 25 years ago.

Anyway it makes no sense to replace a boiler to get another 10%-12% efficiency. Especially as the work is going to cost £4,000. The other problems are of course up to you to tolerate or not.

Assuming you have no gas in the area, it seems the only alternative is to get an Air Source Heat Pump(ASHP)

Hi, no the 83% was from the boiler maintenance company. They give an efficiency rating each year they service it. I was reading up on ASHP but it seems they are more suitable for underfloor heating? I read about them on this link from another thread..might even have been a link u posted Cardew(?) Gas is not an option.
    http://www.centralheating.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport