Lifting heavy weights at work

Options
I am employed as an office worker (specifically stated in my contract).

Where I work, we get deliveries of heavy items on a regular basis that need to be carried to a separate store about 300 yards from our office. As a male member of staff I am expected to lift deliveries to and from the store almost daily. I suffer from ireregular back pains, have slightly high blood pressure and at the moment have flu/cold – I have mentioned to my employer and they say ask someone to help, but there is no-one else to call on.

Where do I stand legally on this?
Can I refuse to carry/lift heavy items? (I’ve stated numerous times that I’m not employed as a warehouse operative).

Advice appreciated folks.

Comments

• biggaz26
    Options
    rj2009 wrote: »

Where I work, we get deliveries of heavy items on a regular basis that need to be carried to a separate store about 300 yards from our office. As a male member of staff I am expected to lift deliveries to and from the store almost daily. I suffer from ireregular back pains, have slightly high blood pressure and at the moment have flu/cold – I have mentioned to my employer and they say ask someone to help, but there is no-one else to call on.

Can I refuse to carry/lift heavy items? (I’ve stated numerous times that I’m not employed as a warehouse operative).

Im sure you should be manual handling trained at the very least if you are expected to lift heavy things regularly. If not and you were to hurt youself due to poor lifting that would be the companies fault...i think...

G
    One day some company will do what they say they will do and charge a fair charge.:T

Not doing the opposite of that which they promise and charge you a fortune for the privileged. :(

Or maybe not:mad:
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    It sounds like sex discrimination to me. How heavy are the items you are supposed to carry?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Pete111
    Pete111 Posts: 5,333 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It sounds like sex discrimination to me. How heavy are the items you are supposed to carry?

Its possible but I wouldn't want to take that one to tribunal...!

However, I think you may have genuine complaint if your health is suffering etc. The company is being a bit daft in ignoring you as surely they must see the adverts for the myriad firms of no win no fee lawyers...

If you feel it needs to stop and are prepared to push it, your best bet is to have a chat with HR/Mgt and say that you will be forced to make it a formal grievance unless you are relieved of these duties

P
    Go round the green binbags. Turn right at the mouldy George Elliot, forward, forward, and turn left....at the dead badger
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Manual handling laws are very clear!
    If you do not feel comfortable lifting something then do not do it!
    There is no tribunal in existence that would not uphold this.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At the very least, insist on a trolley! If there are steps, you can get some which go up and down steps.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2009 at 12:34PM
    Options

I have mentioned to my employer and they say ask someone to help, but there is no-one else to call on.

Surely there must be someone else who can help, or the package can wait until someone is available? If it is a case that there isn't another member of staff available who is prepared to help carry it then if it is too heavy for 2 people it is certainly too heavy for 1 person!

Warehouse operatives don't carry heavy objects across a building, they have equipment available such as a trolley as mentioned by another reply. Whilst items do have to be lifted on and off the trolley they don't have to be carried any distance.

If it comes to it you could hand your company a letter so that it is logged in writing that you have medical issues and require a risk assessment. You should try and point out that failure to conduct this could lead to you having to take time off sick.
  • JUNIOR
    JUNIOR Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Plain and simple , if you suffer from back pains refuse to do the task on health grounds.

Your within your rights to do so. Ask to see the risk assesment , if theres not one , dont do the task . ;)
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    JUNIOR is correct here - OP, do you physically have to carry these items the 300 yards, or are just lifting them onto a trolley, pushing the trolley, and then taking the item off the trolley?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • LTJ
    LTJ Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2009 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Your company has a duty of care under the Health and Safety Laws.
    Below is a copy from a Health and Safety Manual. Company name has been removed etc, but should still help you.

You should have received a manual handling course at induction stage, along with other Health and Safety matters, fire escapes routes, the use of different fire extinguishers. Display Screen Equipment etc from the Health and Safety Manager or a competent person. A Company Health and Safety Policy signed by the chief executive, should be displayed for all to see.

Manual Handling Risk Assessment

(Company name) has undertaken a Manual Handling Risk Assessment throughout its premises at (Company address). The building comprises of (number) floors, in this building. (company name) currently occupies, (number of floors)

As far as reasonably practicable, all steps shall be taken by (Company name) to prevent, or minimise the probability of any injuries caused by Manual Handling.

Statistics show that manual handling is one of the most common causes of absence through injury at the workplace. More than one-third of lost-time accidents are caused in this way.

These injuries may often have long-term effects. This Risk Assessment is intended to reduce the risk of manual handling injuries and to provide guidance on the measures that should be taken to ensure safe lifting and carrying at the workplace.

An example. Post Room

Potential Hazards

The moving of boxes/packets, parcels and mailbags.
    Any bending or stooping to lift a load, which might significantly increases the risk of back injury.

Controls

Reducing the risk of any injury by informing and training the staff in the following:

· use the legs and knees to bend and lift – do not stoop or bend the back
    · avoid tasks which require stretching or twisting
    · make full and proper use of mechanical aids to lifting and carrying, such as trolleys, pallet handlers and wheel barrows
    · make full and proper use of personal protective equipment
    · ensure that regular rest breaks are taken where manual handling activities are repetitive or to prevent the onset of fatigue
    · floors and other working surfaces must be in a safe condition
    · report any problems or concerns associated with manual handling operations to a responsible person without delay.

Use mechanical aids provided. Only lift or carry that which you are capable of doing safely. If required please ask for help to move any items that are too heavy for you to lift or carry.

I would have a word with the Health and Safety manager or who ever is in charge of this asap and inform them of your condition, you should be exempt from carry anything too heavy for you, especially 300 yards. As stated above go and see your doctor and get this noted.

Just a couple of quick questions I take it more than 5 people are employed in the company. Did you receive any H&S manual handling training? if not this is another thing to add to your list, just in case your company gets shirty. I would also note down everytime you are told to move heavy items.
    Look after the Pennies and the Pounds will take care of themselves. :beer:
  • hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    Options

Check your contract of employment - sometimes there is provision that states "can be reasonably allocated to undertake another task in the interests of the business".

Its usually used as a 'catch all' for people to clean toilets or whatever.

As someone said - there 'could' be sex discrimination. But would need more information to find this out first.

Legally you can raise the matter as a health and safety concern. Under Employment Rights Act they cannot dismiss you for raising any matter concerning health and safety.

What would I do in your position? Id make sure to nip this in the bud pretty quick. The longer you are seeing as consenting - the worse it is to claim your unable to do it. Tell them bluntly that you have back pain and cannot continue to do this work. A visit to your GP might be worth considering also - informing them that the work is having an affect on your health. (Its worth getting everything noted as early as possible).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure