Redundancy/Liquidation combination leaves me confused

Options
BlueEyedIndieKid
BlueEyedIndieKid Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 10 November 2009 at 12:37AM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi everyone,

First time posting, although I have been reading the forums for a while, just never worked up the courage to post anything until now.

I've come for your advice, seeing as I'm unsure about being recently made redundant and what I should be doing and asking. I am going to be speaking with ACAS and the CAB tomorrow, but I thought I would ask here where there appears to be no restrictive opening hours on you guys... :D

I recently got made redundant from my current job and the following week one of the directors of the company came from a board meeting and proceeded to tell everyone at that point that the company had gone into liquidation and that we all had to clear our desks and leave as quickly as possible and that we would not be getting any further payments of wages. We were given a copy of a business card of the firm that would be handling the liquidation and that we were to give them a ring later the following week to consult them over what the process should be for us.

When one of my former colleagues phoned the firm, on the date specified, he was told that the company was not in liquidation until later this month and that we would only get any further information and forms that we needed to fill out on that date.

Now, this has left 4 staff without being paid for the last month, 2 of which (including myself) had been only told about being made redundant the week before.

I'm unsure that they followed correct procedure regarding my redundancy as I was taken into an office and just told that I was being made redundant, no prior consultation was given, nor any advice other than you can start looking for a new job.

I asked them for a letter to confirm the dates, times and reasons for my redundancy (the company was downsizing and had no further need for my role).

But at the moment, I currently have no P45 or any clue what is going on with any form of redundancy payment (which in the letter is one month's notice as stated in my contract and any outstanding holiday) and with the company appearing to be in liquidation limbo I have no idea when or whether I will be receiving any form of payment. As it stands the company is still trying to get money in from it's former clients and in some cases have not told them about the situation.

Luckily I have managed to have a job interview and am just awaiting for a letter confirming my new employment. But as it stands I am still going have an understandable cash short fall this month and have had to ask my family to help out financially, which is never a situation I like.

Any advice that you could give will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to add that I have been employed at the company since January 2008 as I think that might have a bearing on things.

BEIK

Comments

• jazzyman01
    Options
    You have not been employed long enough to qualify for redundancy pay. You should, however, receive payment for the notice that you have worked and any outstanding holiday pay.

You could write and ask for the payment, informing them that you have been advised the company is not in liquidation at this time. This is likely to be a paper exercise only. When in liquidation you can claim for up to 8 weeks back pay - which would obviously include your working your notice - and some outstanding holiday pay, from the government.
  • Thanks for that.

Think I need to start writing some letters...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure