🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Draft from Patio Doors

Options
A couple of years ago we had a new patio door put in and find when we sit at that end of the room it is really cold!

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there anything I can do to stop this? Not sure whether it's asking the door/window company that put it in for tips or suggestions :confused:

Any ideas would be very appreciated...

Comments

• SatanicHare
    Options
    Could it be caused by a convection draught (warm air cooling against the glass and falling, feels colder from the knees down), either that or try going round the whole patio on a windy day and see if you can feel where you think it's coming from
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of patio doors are they? There shouldn't be any drafts at all, especially if they are fairly new and up to current regs.

You could try holding a candle or lighter around the edges to see if there is a draft anywhere. Do they have trickle vents (small vents, usually in the frame that are designed to allow some ventilation). If so, you could close these on cold days

Olias
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thick curtains may help, at least at night? The patio doors I used to have had a keyhole, and an appreciable draught blew in through it. A piece of sellotape over the keyhole was all that was needed to stop it...
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, appreciate it - I'll try your suggestions..

We only had them fitted a year or so ago and got them from a local company, they look like these ones
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/PVCu-French-Door-with-2-Demi-Panels/invt/155262

I don't know why there is a draft at this end of the room but you can definately feel it..
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like they need re aligning sometimes they can drop due to wear, causing gaps around the seal.
  • System
    Options
    Thanks for your advise, I guess I should contact the company that put them in and see what they say..
  • System
    Options
    I spoke to the company who fitted it for me and he said that it is normally more drafty at that end of room as it's more glass than wall :confused:

However he has offered to come and take a look at the weekend so will see what he says
  • System
    Options
    Sounds like they need re aligning sometimes they can drop due to wear, causing gaps around the seal.

The guy didn't turn up to take a look at it, I'm going to give them a call during the week. Got someone to take a look at it and the actual frame is loose and moves :eek:

Just what I need in this weather...
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Summer01 wrote: »
    The guy didn't turn up to take a look at it, I'm going to give them a call during the week. Got someone to take a look at it and the actual frame is loose and moves :eek:

Just what I need in this weather...

Sounds like a quality install:rolleyes: I would have them back asap and get them to put the job right.
  • slummymummyof3
    Options
    Did you take out an insurance backed guarantee - in the event of them going bust, you are still covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport