Options

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Either download the forms and info leaflets from the court service website
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/FormFinder.do

or pick up copies from your nearest family court office. If you don't know where it is, you can search on the link above.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    If I was you I would either do it yourself through the courts or use a solicitor - if you are sure there is nothing that has been overlooked, such as pension provision, do it yourself through the courts and congratulations on keeping everythign so amicable.
  • N1CKC
    N1CKC Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    so far I have done everything myself.

I had to pay £300 to the court for the petition, that is all so far.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also used divorce-online and got a clean break financial order, even though I have a DD with him. Couldn't fault them, it was quick, easy, relatively cheap (I had a 30 mins chat with a solicitor and even she advised that as we were (at that time *sigh*) reasonably amicable, it would cost a fortune to use her rather than do it online/myself.

Good luck! Take care of yourself, no matter how amicable things are, it does tend to put you through the emotional wringer when you start seeing things in black and white.
  • ox5
    ox5 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    N1CKC wrote: »
    so far I have done everything myself.

I had to pay £300 to the court for the petition, that is all so far.

may i ask which service you have used?

Thanks in advance.;)
    :hello: lock n load.... Go San Francisco Giants!!!
  • Ada_Doom
    Ada_Doom Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    ;)There really is no need to use an online service. You will just be paying them to fill in divorce forms, and in my experience working on the family section of a county court they quite often can't get even this right!

Just fill in the forms yourself, either download them from the internet (think soembody, poss Becles gave the link for this) and take them to your local County Court. There will be a fee of £300 to issue your petition and the clerk at the court should be able to check through the form for you to check that it is correct. They will also need your marriage certificate. They can advise you on court procedure but cannot give you legal advice.

If your divorce is fairly straightforward you will not need solicitors, but if you need any court involvement re the financial side of the marriage it is worth having an appointment with a solicitor.HTH.

Ada
  • mackemdave
    Options
    Like others havesaid,do it all yourself...no need to invole the online divorce people...get forms from court fill them in...take them back with £300 then another £40 for absolute...think its £30 forthe consent order....under £400 in total ....QED
  • ox5
    ox5 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doing the divorce myself, pretty straight forward, the documents themselves take some getting used to, and the help docs you get given at the various stages of the divorce are not too clear. The court officer can help you, but not guide you!

Also, the price went up for divorce on 01/09/10 its now £340 to apply and £45 final payment with the nisi etc.:mad::mad::mad:

Would like the forum to give me the low down on the "Financial Consent Order" even thou me and my ex-wife do have a daughter......do i need one or not?

Must be noted that our divorce is very amicable no stress with filling in forms / receiving forms. we have a ok relationship, and i even helped my ex fill out her side of the petition, making sure that she knew exactly what she was writing and where etc.:T

Also, noticed in form D186 of the court info docs, a judge can refuse divorce...has anyone out there in cyber land had experience of this?
    :eek:
    :hello: lock n load.... Go San Francisco Giants!!!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ox5 wrote: »
    Would like the forum to give me the low down on the "Financial Consent Order" even thou me and my ex-wife do have a daughter......do i need one or not?

The divorce ends your relationship, but you are still linked financially. The financial consent order severs the financial relationship.

If you don't get one and you come into money or other valuable assets in the future, the ex can go back to court and fight for a share of it.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • mackemdave
    Options
    DONT pay one of these online companies to do anything - you can do it all yourself for free (excluding the statutory court fee's) My mum used one earlier this year paid £147 and all they did was send her out the forms, she spent most of her time going to the courts to get them to help her, the company she paid did sod all and never replied to emails / phonecalls.

Totally agree....do NOT pay an online company,utter waste of money,do it yourself via the courts and their web site.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure