Gas CH thermostat - is hall best place?

Options
British Gas installed our CH and put the thermostat in the hall. We have a traditional 4 bed detached and hall is huge with staircase to upstairs landing.

Have read in Which? that thermostat usually placed in living room - we have 2 - one is big knocked through dining/living room and one is medium sized.

Is the thermostat in the right place? I tend to keep it on 18C or lower (I am mean).

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Opinions vary on this subject; the hall used to be the standard location but more people are having them in the living room.

You really don't want the temperature in the(unused) hall to determine the temperature in living rooms.

On the other hand the if you have it in the living room, when that room is at the required temperature there is no heating in the rest of the house.

So it is a compromise.

Personally I have mine in the hall and set it to maximum, and every radiator has a TRV and which we set to the requirement of each room.

Not the perfect solution the purists will argue(with justification) as the pump runs longer. The system does have an Automatic Bypass Valve
    http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/products/ecatdata/pg_du144.html
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2009 at 9:44PM
    Options
    Good evening: advice is available from the Association of Control Manufacturers (TACMA).

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure