condensing boiler

Options
i have a oil boiler for heating and hot water it is over 20 years old is it worth fitting a condensing boiler at cost about £2000 or wait until old boiler packs in

Comments

• mech_2
    mech_2 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    rexel wrote: »
    i have a oil boiler for heating and hot water it is over 20 years old is it worth fitting a condensing boiler at cost about £2000 or wait until old boiler packs in
    Wait till it packs in. In the meantime use the money you would have used on a new boiler on insulation etc. Lots of it. It will probably pay off better in the long run.

And draughtproofing (keep any rooms with combustion appliances in them ventilated though).

If you do think about replacing your heating system, have a look at going electric with an air source heat-pump. I make no promises, but it may work out more economical. It's all a bit theoretical though. It depends what you make of the figures.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    mech wrote: »
    If you do think about replacing your heating system, have a look at going electric with an air source heat-pump. I make no promises, but it may work out more economical. It's all a bit theoretical though. It depends what you make of the figures.

Good call. I did exactly this and here is my energy consumption comparisons after 1 year of running an air to water heat pump instead of a gas central heating boiler (this after the coldest Winter weather in this area for 20 years too).

change-in-consumption.jpg
  • mech_2
    mech_2 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    Yes... though it depends how efficient the old gas boiler was as those kinds of savings are possible with a gas condensing boiler too.

In this case it really comes down to the relative prices of heating oil vs electricity and I know nothing about heating oil prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure