Alton Towers Bargain Break!

Options

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get the train to stoke or uttoxeterl.

I remember when the park was open they use to provide buses to the park. You could ring the park asking them for numbers of local buses that get you into the village. Alton Towers is in the middle of no-where so getting a taxi there would cost a fortune.

I would get a map out, look for 'Alton' near stoke, and thats ya baby. I would look for local buses to the place otherwise maybe £30-£40 in a taxi from the city of stoke.

Its no in walking distance either. Its 16mile from the stoke train station to the park.

Uttoxeter is about 9.2 miles away, but trains there and transport again is a affecting factor.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Alias
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hubby says there are buses from uttoxeter train station but not very frequent. the timetable might be on the arriva website though. he suggests ringing alton towers for suggestions on how to get there.

we went for the friday night instead of the saturday night, it meant we could get up and have a lovely breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc. included) before going to the park. if you go for the saturday night then once the park closes you only have the water park for entertainment (although there entertainment in the bars etc. in the hotel). we preferred having friday night in the waterpark then on saturday some time in the park then back to the waterpark.

if you do arrive on the sat though don't panic, the queues for rides are tiny so you'll have plenty of time to go on everything.

as for places to eat, there were enough. there's a cafe inside the waterpark and there's a cafe place in each of the hotels. inside the park there were a few places open but not the KFC/mcdonalds places, just a couple of burger stands. we bought hot dogs for £2.50 each while in the park. we didn't eat in the hotels because we ate on the way there on the friday night and then left the water park to get our evening meal on the way home. it wasn't an expensive break for us, we took a bag of crisps, water bottles etc. with us and only spent money on drinks in the bar at night and then on hotdogs in the park (and two meals on the way there and back).
    52% tight
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the tennertastic travelodge thing starts tomorrow for dates in february, if you can drive here why not see if there's a room at stafford (M6 motorway) as it's only 18 miles from alton towers. stay at travelodge on the friday night, drive to AT to check into your hotel room before the park opens on the saturday. if the kids get bored on the friday night there's a wacky warehouse type place next to the travelodge.
    52% tight
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    I think theres a nearer travelodge, not sure of the name but possibly called Rocester ( JCB hq) which is on the turning off the Stoke road up to Alton towers.
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    I think, (could be wrong) that the nearest Travelodge is Uttoxeter. Have no idea if its on a Motorway - or is any good.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Woooooooo Hooooooooooooo!

Have booked for 4th March for the 4 of us for my daughters birthday ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the review bargainbunny & lots of thanks to the original poster.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    Well we're back from the bargain weekend and what a time we had!! Wonderful.
    I booked for the Splash Hotel but on arriving we were put in the Alton Towers Hotel, it didn't matter to us a bit. We arrived around 5.30 Friday tea time, got the room dumped the bags and headed for the pool stayed in till closing (9pm) then had dinner. Buffet Adults 16.95/Kids 9.95 luckily for me they decided both mine (14 and tall/12) were both kiddies.
    The rides Sat were a little less than expected but throughly enjoyed. Oblivion, black hole, tractor rides (!) Squirrel ride (!) but a great great time was in the ribena bish bosh. Absolutely brilliant. Loads of guns all around a room firing foam balls which have to be collected, thats when you get fired at !!! Both my kids are now grounded for getting Mum. It was great. It was a little chilly, a little rainy but we had a great time. We had a snack lunch as we had a wonderful breakfast (avoid 9am). We then headed back to water world from about 2pm till chucking out time at 8pm. Sadly had to drive home. Any questions pm me
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • thejazzzman
    Options
    The cheapest route I can find is National Express --
    London-Stoke-on-trent £18

then the train to uttoxeter,

then hoping theres a bus from there to alton towers..

Anyone help!!???!/
  • daddy_boglin
    Options
    Thanks for the updated review Panda66!
    Just a couple of Q's:
    1) Is breakfast included? What is it like?
    2) When's the earliest you can arrive?
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • sarahe
    sarahe Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello
    We went the week before christmas and it was the best value for money I've had.

Yes breakkie is included and you can take your time - again it's one of the best breakfasts I've had at a hotel.

I wasn't impressed with the other food and we ended up driving to Leek for a pizza!

We arrived at 12 and were allowed to go straight to the room. I'm sure you can arrive before this time.

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport