Change boiler or keep old one - the dilemma.

Options
Peter_Lanky
Peter_Lanky Posts: 326 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
A friend keeps telling me I should get a new central heating boiler as even including the cost of the new installation, I will save money in the long run. However, I have never had much luck with tradesmen (small things like turning up!) so am not confident about looking into this without a lot of background information to add to my armoury.

My house is 15 years old in Wigan, Lancashire and the boiler has never broken down, nor had any work done on it. I have 12 radiators and a conventional tank (I don't want a combi) in a 4 bed detached house, with the boiler in the garage. My boiler is a Baxi WM60/4RS. I believe the system is fully pumped. The radiators are fitted with thermostats. In winter, I use the heating sparingly, about 5 hours a day, with the odd boost at weekend when it's cold.

I am aware that there is a lot more legislation, but don't know what it entails. If anyone can answer any of the questions, I would appreciate it, and even better if someone can recommend an installer to seek a quote.

Should I carry on as I am or look for a new boiler?
Will I save money, and how many years will it take me to do this?
What is the max and min price I should expect to pay?
Which brands/models should I be looking to have installed?
What is happening to the English Language? These are not isolated, but repeated every day.
'Definate', 'Aswell', 'Rediculous', 'Payed'...and the best of all 'Could Of'. How can anyone think that 'Could Of' can actually mean anything. You may as well write 'Could Zebra' for all the sense it makes.

Comments

• bambibashercol
    Options
    1- If the boilers working keep it. Little to go wrong with this boiler.
    2- Yes you will save money, Chances are though the boiler will need changing again before it pays for itself.
    3- Cannot answer that as i would need to look at the job.
    5- worcester bosch, valliant, viessman, are some of the better boilers.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Totally agree with the post above. There have been several threads on this theme and the concensus of opinion is stay with your present boiler - especially as at only 15 years old it is a mere spotty youth!

My boiler is over 21 years old and has had a thermocouple go faulty in all that time. (it shuts off gas if the pilot light goes out). That is a 10 minute job and the part costs a couple of pounds.

Several on this thread have much older boilers.

The problem with new condensing boilers, as bambibc above alludes, is that they have a far shorter lifespan - lots of experts say 10 years is good - and the electronic PCBs cost £hundreds to replace.

There are a lot more regulations on ventilation(yes I know it is in a garage!!!!) flue etc and it simply is not a simple case of changing the boiler. From posts on here £2k to £3k seems to be about the norm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure