We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Problem with leaking radiator pipe under floor and recently installed

Options

Comments

• bambibashercol
    Options
    O dear. It sounds like you may need to take up part of the screed floor to find the leak.
    It sounds like either a unsoldered joint or the builder used a compression joint and not locked it down. These should not be used in concrete floors anyway. Why he never tested it before laying the floor beats me.
  • dadsarmy
    dadsarmy Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the pipe work is in ducting?
  • bozzy18
    bozzy18 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ducting? What is that? I doubt it!
    :beer:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This has cowboy written all over it. Are you sure that the other work he did was up to standard? Especially any work on the gas supply or electrical supply? Was he qualified to do this work?
    Lack of paperwork does not remove your rights to have the job put right by him at his expense, but will make proving it somewhat difficult if he does not want to co-operate.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bozzy18
    Options
    He runs a reputable company though but unfortunately I believe his staff were negilence! One of the new lights did burn out last weekend incidentally!
  • macman
    Options
    If he asked you for £8K in cash with no invoice/receipts, then that does not exactly sound reputable.
  • bozzy18
    Options
    like I said earlier - we did not bother cos we were "friends"! Not anymore!
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Options
    EliteHeat wrote: »
    Discrete; Adj. 1. Constituting a separate thing 2. Consisting of unconnected distinct parts.

So, is the pipe-work buried in the screed connected to just a single radiator, or is it connected to other parts of the system in the screed?

If the pipework which is buried is connected to other radiators would those other radiators not be showing problems?

If it is just a single radiator connected would it not be cheaper/easier to disconnect the buried pipe and re-route a new section than having to dig up the floor.
  • macman
    Options
    OP, is the affected rad on the other side of the boiler from the rest of the rads on the system? This is what we mean by it maybe being on a spur, the layout of the rooms should make it obvious?
  • bozzy18
    Options
    I don't know what he did under the floor. The boiler is on one side of the room and the radiator on the other side in the kitchen. The kitchen is situated on the end of the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport