Old Parkray fire fuel

Options
Just bought a house with a old Parkray and backboiler fitted.Just wondered if you can burn wood on it aswell as coal? What harm could burning wood on it do?
Thanks for any advice folks.

Comments

• scrimpingbadger
    Options
    Best to only use coal/stove nuts on it. Wood could ruin it's insides and your chimney lining too. They are OK to run but are tricky to regulate temperature.
  • i_hate_the_csa
    Options
    Thanks for that.Still cant understand why wood might be so bad.Was gonna use logs and coal together.It's a old house from the 1700's so plenty of wood will have been burnt there already.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    IIRC wood burns at a much higher temperature, it also produces tar as it burns, and this coats the inside of the workings, including the glass.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • i_hate_the_csa
    Options
    IIRC? Sorrry for being thick!
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    IIRC? Sorrry for being thick!

If I Remember Correctly.
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2009 at 5:36PM
    Options
    If its seasoned wood (at least six months from being chopped down) then I would say burning coal and wood wouldn't be a problem. If you live in a smokefree zone then you can't burn anything other than smokeless coal nuggets.You should also consider that burning wood produces alot more smoke and would have to have your chimney swept more regular.

You can't beat burning free logs
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    IIRC wood burns at a much higher temperature, it also produces tar as it burns, and this coats the inside of the workings, including the glass.

Wood burns colder than coal, but it can, as you say, produce all sorts of nasty tarry deposits which can cause serious problems in a chimney. That said, the OP could get an informed opinion from a local sweep, who would be able to look at the condition of the chimney itself.

The choices if it's a roomheater (as opposed to an open fire) are the usual smokeless suspects like Homefire, Coalite, Phurnacite, Sunbrite and so on.

If it's an open fire with a back boiler (as opposed to a closed device) and assuming you're not in a smokeless area, you might even be OK burning housecoal, which would be the cheapest option, if wood is ruled-out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure