🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DVD Boxset help - US websites

Options
I want to get my Dad the NCIS or the JAG full boxsets of all the series. But I cant find them on any of the usual UK DVD sites, found a couple on ebay at extortinate prices.
So I did a search on google on 'cheapest NCIS boxset'. This has brought up a few US websites which are much cheaper, even with posting. Problem is that I am not familiar with any of these sites. There is mycollects.com, hotboxsetonline.us, disc888.com, dvdsetshop.com to name a few.

What I wondered is if anyone else had used any of these site, could recommend them or another site or even give me some pointers with what to look out for on these sites to ensure they are genuine DVDs and secure payment.

Thanks!!!

Lisa
:heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:

Comments

• Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2009 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Ive usually use Playusa.com and not had any problems if they have what you want, also amazon usa ship some US DVDS so see if they will ship too, also i forgot ive also used DVDconcept.com with no problems
    :beer:
  • IanHC
    Options
    Don't forget that dvd's from the US are Region 1 and may not play on UK Region 2 players, check the specifications of your dvd player to see if it's region locked or multiregion.
  • Cookiepops
    Options
    hey thanks. I checked these sites but they dont have the full boxset and they are Region 1.
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have only released upto season 9 of "JAG", one season to go. And NCIS is still in production so you can only get up to season 6.

Any website offering all 10 seasons of "JAG" will be bootleg copies from the TV broadcasts.

Another thing with importing a set that costs over £18 would be the import fees, which you would need to add on around 20% of the price plus £8 Royal Mail collection charge.
  • DaisyMoo
    DaisyMoo Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently purchased the Golden Girls box set from dvdsetshop.com. It took about 2 weeks for delivery. I received a tracking number as soon as the DVDs were dispatched. I did not have to pay any import fees (not sure if this was luck or how it was packaged by the sender) The DVDs appear to have been sent from China which surprised me as I was under the impression I was ordering from America. I have not played the DVDs as they are sealed and its a christmas present, however, I would probably buy from this website again.
  • Cookiepops
    Options
    JAG wrote: »
    They have only released upto season 9 of "JAG", one season to go. And NCIS is still in production so you can only get up to season 6.

Any website offering all 10 seasons of "JAG" will be bootleg copies from the TV broadcasts.

Another thing with importing a set that costs over £18 would be the import fees, which you would need to add on around 20% of the price plus £8 Royal Mail collection charge.

Hi, no sorry I meant the seasons available on DVD. Im not familir with the programmes but I know NCIS is on season 7 so it was the boxsets doing 1 to 6.

Also I want aware of the import fees so thanks for that, I'll kepp them in mind when working out the costs.
  • Cookiepops
    Options
    DaisyMoo wrote: »
    I have recently purchased the Golden Girls box set from dvdsetshop.com. It took about 2 weeks for delivery. I received a tracking number as soon as the DVDs were dispatched. I did not have to pay any import fees (not sure if this was luck or how it was packaged by the sender) The DVDs appear to have been sent from China which surprised me as I was under the impression I was ordering from America. I have not played the DVDs as they are sealed and its a christmas present, however, I would probably buy from this website again.

Thanks Daisymoo, I'll give that site a go!
  • albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    Options
    No import fees due if package is marked as GIFT!
  • DaisyMoo
    DaisyMoo Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options

I checked this and it wasnt maked as a gift in the appropriate box, however, it may have been marked in Chinese elsewhere on teh shipping documents
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

not quite,HMRC can and will charge any item they deem is liable for duty regardless of declaration of gift or value
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport