Electric or Gas Heater for a Flat

Options
Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I live in a flat and the electric heaters supplied in the flat are not simply powerful enough to keep the large rooms warms.

Was thinking of getting an additional heater.

A couple of friends suggested that a gas heater [+ CO detector] would be cheaper than using electric.

Any suggestions on these..

Thanks..

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you mean calor gas heater? Firstly they kick out a lot of water, so will make the place damp, secondly you will probably find this breaches the terms of your tenancy agreement or long lease.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    having gas will mean an expensive system, something to be serviced yearly, another standing charge (if mains gas) ... overall you might be better off just getting more electric heaters/better electric heaters.

Some information about your flat would be useful, e.g. are you using storage heaters at the moment? are you on an economy7 tariff, which floor are you on?, is the garden area yours? ... there might be other options available to you that are thinking outside of the box a bit more.

You can get some plug in electric, water-filled radiators, which I've seen good things written about (no special wiring needed). http://www.intheatingsystems.co.uk/ "water filled electric radiator requires no plumbing or pipe-work. Simply wall mount onto brackets, plug into a standard 13 amp socket and switch on. "
  • money_saver12
    money_saver12 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2009 at 12:09AM
    Options
    I meant a portable gas heater like the calor gas heaters or
    delonghi gas heaters which use a 7Kg - 15 Kg cylinder (propane / butane).

Yes i am on the economy 7 tariff which begins at 12.30 in the night till half 7.

Also i have electric boost heater (a timer dial which you allows you to set the times you want it to run). I belive this is not an automatic input type.

Staying on the ground floor with a garage entrance on one side and the garage for the building below makes the flat poor on energy efficiency.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure