Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Petriix said:
    I've used the netlawman online free will option. It seems to work fine, but does include some odd things which I have removed (children not allowed to emigrate, executors can pay themselves for whatever they like, even when not necessary etc). I'm a little nervous about the validity but it's better than nothing.
    I've now got wills in place for self and wife using the free version.  There are very good reasons for all the clauses they've included, but not all of them are needed, or relevant,  for everyone.  Some knowledge of the law is useful and there are risks if you don't have that, but I'm confident that the wills are valid and achieve exactly what we want them to. 
  • bgdw999
    Options
    If you are in Scotland then there is www.MyScottishWill.co,uk.
    It was reviewed by Reporting Scotland when it started 20 years ago and is run by me, a Scottish Solicitor.
    Not free but only £49.95. Free to try.
  • newbie8
    newbie8 Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looking into a DIY will. Advantage is costs.. Disadvantages is that it is not water tight. But if the people I want to leave things to do not 'argue' etc. then is this the only risk or is it the Tax Man another concern?
    Thanks All
  • Doc_N
    Options
    newbie8 said:
    Looking into a DIY will. Advantage is costs.. Disadvantages is that it is not water tight. But if the people I want to leave things to do not 'argue' etc. then is this the only risk or is it the Tax Man another concern?
    Thanks All
    I really wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a good legal knowledge.  Tax is one issue, but the legality of the will is far more of an issue.  Lawyers make far more money out of problem wills than they do drafting them.  
  • newbie8
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    newbie8 said:
    Thanks All
    I really wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a good legal knowledge.  Tax is one issue, but the legality of the will is far more of an issue.  Lawyers make far more money out of problem wills than they do drafting them.  
    Solicitor doesn't charge but they write in it that they want to be there for the reading. 
    What other implications are there? 
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    newbie8 said:
    Solicitor doesn't charge but they write in it that they want to be there for the reading. 
    Not certain what you mean by this.  If you're talking about the solicitors offering themselves as executors, you can say no.
    You choose who you want to deal with your estate.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    newbie8 said:
    Doc_N said:
    newbie8 said:
    Thanks All
    Wills are rarely read out these days, but solicitors do like to be made executors because of the exorbitantly high fees that brings in. Much less than the banks but still exorbitant. It’s your will - don’t agree to it. 
  • newbie8
    Options
    Apologies,, Was meant to say the solicitor has not previously charged to write the will or store the will. But has written themselves in as Executor. So I am assuming this is where he will charge?
  • Doc_N
    Options
    newbie8 said:
    Apologies,, Was meant to say the solicitor has not previously charged to write the will or store the will. But has written themselves in as Executor. So I am assuming this is where he will charge?
    Yes.  Big time.  And it’s something you have no real control over, or rather the beneficiaries.
  • newbie8
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    newbie8 said:
    Yes.  Big time.  And it’s something you have no real control over, or rather the beneficiaries.
    So how do I get myself out of this? If I get them to re-write do I ask them to take themselves out as executor? Can I write a new one myself copying the previous one and take them out as Executors and that all previous copies are no longer applicable and ask them to destroy the original or send me the original so I can destroy? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback