Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    There aren't that many people who have sufficient assets that intestacy becomes a problem for them, and yet can't afford to get the job done properly via a solicitor.
    There are plenty of people who are "asset rich and cash poor".
  • Tiko
    Tiko Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have had a TERRIBLE experience with the WILLAID scheme and unfortunately I would NEVER advise anyone to join or support it. Last October I made an appointment under the scheme and paid the relevant fee. I had an appointment in what looked like an office that had been rented for the day with an elderly lady from Sidney Torrance and Co. To cut a long story short, six months later and despite MANY phone calls and emails on my part there is still no will. To make it worse, the CEO of Willaid promised more than once to refund my £95 fee so that I could start the process again. He promised me that he personally had authorised the refund then when it turned out that the refund had STILL not been paid despite his assurance, he investigated and assured me - just last week - that the refund had definitely been paid. I offered to send him my bank statements even, just to prove that what I was saying was true and he then mysteriously discovered that the payment had left their bank account but somehow been weirdly paid back to them!!! You could not make it up! I have spent several hours following this over the course of six months - and six months after my will was supposedly going to be written, I have no refund of my £95, no will, and no faith in this scheme.
  • Caroline198611
    Options
    Hi my older sister is executor of my parents will, the process has taken 2 years to resolve due to absentee freeholder. We have now been granted the right to buy freehold. What advice I need is where do my rights stand, as a executor my sister has took control will not update me with what's going on, where we are in the process, because she doesn't need the money it seems like I'm at a stand still. I'm 20 years younger than her and could do with the money. She is dragging her heels. I'm not sure where I stand as she said the estate agents, conveyancy and solicitor will not speak to me as I'm not executor, is this right? I'm named as a beneficiary and there are only me and her on the will. I'm fed up of waiting, not having my texts replied to by my sister and generally not knowing what's going on from one week to the next.. It's causing me undue stress I'm only 30 you see and already have no family left just my sister who doesn't seem to be bothered about moving this forward. I need to know if I can ring these people myself and demand a update or not been as I get nothing from my sister. Do I hold any rights here. Thank you in advance any info greatly appreciated..
  • Duckyk
    Duckyk Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used the offers from Gumtree/Wowcher anything like this site, where they are offering it at a cheaper price.

Are these will's to be trusted are they any good or am i better off finding someone local to write my will?

Thanks
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Duckyk wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used the offers from Gumtree/Wowcher anything like this site, where they are offering it at a cheaper price.

Are these will's to be trusted are they any good or am i better off finding someone local to write my will?

Thanks
    These will be off the shelf without proper discussion of your needs and prospects. Ask around and use a local solictor who should not charge more than £200.
  • Moira_Hollamby
    Options
    "Your will be done website. I used this service today is was quick and easy to use as I do not own property or have anything complicated to do. You can alter it free of charge at anytime For £15 (this was with the MSE code I think this is value for money
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone advise on the best place for me to make my will. I want to leave property to a child who is currently only 2 years old, and I'm also director of a small company which will need to be included in the will.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the best place for me to make my will.

I want to leave property to a child who is currently only 2 years old, and I'm also director of a small company which will need to be included in the will.

With an experienced solicitor.

This isn't a simple will.
  • Castiger
    Options
    My son and family are currently based in the Middle East.
    What advice can I get regarding them making a will now they have a young family?
    Thanks.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Castiger wrote: »
    My son and family are currently based in the Middle East.
    What advice can I get regarding them making a will now they have a young family?
    Thanks.
    They need professional advice not a will writer or DIY. Do they own assets in the U.K.? They will need a separate will for any assets held in a foreign country and that will be subject to the local law. Many law firms in the Middle Esat have staff that can deal with wills for both local and U.K.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback