Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Options

Comments

• mickym
    mickym Posts: 456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Well, just think how terrible the rest of us would feel if we ended up paying for it?

So all the financial contributions they have made to the state over their whole working life wouldn't contribute to their care in later life?

Not to mention all their extended family who have always been in full time employment?

Huge financial institutions paying hardly any tax in this country lessens the guilt of doing what they do on a minuscule scale in comparison.

But, as I say, thats sidetracking from this thread.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Can someone please advise me if I can do a free or cheap will.

I want to leave all my belongings including a car to my son. He is my only child.

I have no savings or house as I live in a local HA property.

Am still married but separated for 20 odd years, don't even know if husband is still alive or where he might stay.

In your situation you definitely need a will, otherwise everything would go to your husband assuming he is still alive. Even if he no longer alive, trying to confirm that could be difficult so causing problems for your son.

Being a very simple estate, you should be able to DIY it, just make sure you cover the event of your son pre deceasing you.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but can you tell me how I go about doing a DIY will please
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but can you tell me how I go about doing a DIY will please

If you are not comfortable doing it DIY next month is free will month.

http://freewillsmonth.org.uk
  • billybotto
    Options
    freewillsmonth.org

Is this offer only available in certain parts of the country?
    Says not available in my NE postcode (Newcastle) area.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    The short answer is don't! The longer answer is that DIYing it is fraught with risk that the required result will no happen. Some solicitors offer notionally free wills for a time each year but you arid expected, but not forced, to make a donation to charity.
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Options
    billybotto wrote: »
    freewillsmonth.org

Is this offer only available in certain parts of the country?
    Says not available in my NE postcode (Newcastle) area.

It's not restricted officially but as Solicitors have to choose to take part some areas won't be covered.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We are a couple in our 30's and was wondering what the best way to get a will is, we don't mind paying for it but as we have a child think it is important to have for each other and also for our daughter
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • tangerine2
    Options
    We bought printed Will forms from Amazon, as our circumstances are simple. Husband and wife, if one dies first then whole Estate goes to the other. In the event of their death then Estate divided in equal shares to our two children. Signed and witnessed by two witnesses not In the Will. Probably if one us dies before the other it will be cheap enough to tear up and write a new one.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2017 at 7:26PM
    Options
    1trainer1 wrote: »
    We are a couple in our 30's and was wondering what the best way to get a will is, we don't mind paying for it but as we have a child think it is important to have for each other and also for our daughter
    Go to a solicitor not a will writer and under no circumstances try to DIY. Ask around for personal recommendations. Also remember that wills need to be reviewed from time to time as circumstances change.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback