work getting knocked down and rebuild 400 yards away

Options
Just seen the approved planning permission for my work to be moved by 2011, how will this affect my job?

And what are my right under these circumstances?

Cheers, any advice no matter how trivial, is welcome please.

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    they are allowed to move offices such a small distance without a full consultation :-)

try not to worry unless they start talking about headcount reduction - which could equally well happen in the building you are in just now
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just seen the approved planning permission for my work to be moved by 2011, how will this affect my job?

And what are my right under these circumstances?.

In what context?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Most likely not at all other than you will have to walk an additional 400 yeards to get to work. If the company are planning to build new premises, that suggests they are not suffering from the recession too badly.
    And what are my right under these circumstances? Cheers, any advice no matter how trivial, is welcome please.

I don't understand what you mean by rights. Are you expecting to be made rdundant when the move happens? If the company is moving premises, staff will presumably move to new offices at some point. Other than that, I don't see why you should be affected.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    What are your RIGHTS?

What on earth do you mean? In case you hadn't noticed, there are nearly 3 million people registered as unemployed. There are an estimated one million extra people who have lost jobs this year but are too proud to sign on. There are 2.5 million on incapacity benefit.

With the other under-employed and people on the fringes of society, best estimates are that there could be as many as 8 million people without jobs.

And you are asking about your 'rights' because your workplace is being relocated 400 yards away?

What are you expecting? A company car? A segway? Personalised transport in a hand-held buggy drawn by two handsome guys?

!!!!!! . . modern Britain and its 'culture of me entitlements'!
  • generaloneill
    Options
    I meant by my rights, what if there is a period of say 5 months between one shop shutting and another one opening. What if they transferred me to another store, would I be automatically entitled to return when the new store opened?

No need to be rude guys.

I'm only on minimum wage so its not like I'm dissing the unemployed or anything, sheesh.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I meant by my rights, what if there is a period of say 5 months between one shop shutting and another one opening. What if they transferred me to another store, would I be automatically entitled to return when the new store opened?

No need to be rude guys.

I'm only on minimum wage so its not like I'm dissing the unemployed or anything, sheesh.

Who knows? Why don't you ask the company what their plans are?
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

No need to be rude guys.

To be fair, I think you could have explained what you mean properly the first time around and the other replies may have been a little less harsh. You have to put effort into anything before you can expect good results back after all.

I think this is a case of asking them what their plans are. A lot of what is and is not reasonable here will depend on the contract - what does it say about transfers to other locations (I'm talking here about working in other stores as you suggest might happen in the meantime, not the new site when it is completed.)
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • jazzyman01
    Options
    It is not highly likely that they will continue where they are currently whilst the new place is being built and then move into it without any loss of work to you and your colleagues?
    The advise is right, just ask if you are worried.
    Although I think you could possibly have explained better, it would have been nice for some of the respondents to have asked more questions before going for your throat.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options

No need to be rude guys.

So here's your choice.

1. Ask a bunch of complete strangers on the internet who have no idea about your company's plans.

Or

2. Ask your company.

Which do you think might reap better results for you?
  • aj2703
    aj2703 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    bendix wrote: »
    What are your RIGHTS?

What on earth do you mean? In case you hadn't noticed, there are nearly 3 million people registered as unemployed. There are an estimated one million extra people who have lost jobs this year but are too proud to sign on. There are 2.5 million on incapacity benefit.

With the other under-employed and people on the fringes of society, best estimates are that there could be as many as 8 million people without jobs.

And you are asking about your 'rights' because your workplace is being relocated 400 yards away?

What are you expecting? A company car? A segway? Personalised transport in a hand-held buggy drawn by two handsome guys?

!!!!!! . . modern Britain and its 'culture of me entitlements'!

What a stupid post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport