PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor has owned house less than six months

Options

Comments

• jamesparker_2
    Options
    Hi my opinion is that you should talk to the vendor! If you are really interested to sell your property then it depends on you that what you like!
    But be care full in every matter and do proper paper work else you will be in trouble because hale make waist!
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    Well the house I mentioned earlier has now been sold:eek: Crash! what Crash????

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • Julfulbub
    Options
    OP - does the vendor have a valid reason for selling the property after only six weeks? It would worry me that there is something wrong with the house or the area.

Been incommunicado for a couple of days but thought I would answer questions and finally update on situation. This thread may help someone at a later date.

The vendor is selling the property as he bought to stop the chain from collapsing the last time round when we had to pull out. His intention was to always sell it on. The house is perfectly fine and I know the area well as both sisters in law live around the corner - this is the reason for the move so we don't have to put our son into out of school care.
  • Julfulbub
    Options
    penguine wrote: »
    If you really want the house, can you take out a mortgage with another provider who will be willing to lend under these conditions?

Yes we can do this but we are currently on a good rate with our current lender. To do this would add a minimum £500 a month to our repayments - not a road I want to go down.
  • Julfulbub
    Options
    I have spent the last couple of days talking to various IFA's who were not aware of this poilicy. After further investigation it has come to light that this is a blanket policy throughout the whole of the RBS Group and a few other lenders. They are expecting that in time all lenders will follow suit.

Our underwriter escalated this to his credit risk team but it seems they are not prepared to investigate our vendor's personal circumstance or make an exception in our case. Tomorrow I have to start a complaints process, my solicitor advises me that I should be able to claim the costs of the survey I paid out for, legal costs incurred and compensation for time wasted. I imagine this could be a very long drawn out process which will no doubt will end up with the Ombudsmen.

I have been upfront with them since we persued this application that we were dealing with a new vendor and nobody flagged this to be a problem. There is nothing within my offer or t&c which says its a problem. The t&c's talk about their right to withdraw offer which is basically if they have doubts about your ability to repay the loan, your identity or any information supplied by us or if they become aware of something the did not know when the loan was issued. None of this criteria applies to us so tomorrow I will be askingon what grounds they have withdrawn our offer. I don't expect any joy.

We are going to talk to the vendor to see if he will wait for the six months to pass but am really not hopeful.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Julfulbub wrote: »
    He only bought it about 6 weeks ago. We have a FTB chomping at the bit to get in our place and I don't really want to move out and rent. I also don't think vendor would wait another 4.5 months for us, I think he would remarket property as not all lenders enforce this restriction. Plus our mortgage offer was only good for 3 months. We could apply for a mortgage with another lender but we would never get the deal we have with our current lender and it means starting over, paying for another survey etc and then we could lose our buyer. The whole thing seems silly and such an inconvenience.

Can you sell yours and rent the house you are going to buy? Presumably it's empty and the vendor won't be able to sell to anyone else who needs a mortgage?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Eyesparky
    Options
    This is a new one on me. So anyone who renovates and resells properties is being cobbled by the banks under "money laundering" criteria. Nonsense. The banks seem hell bent on destroying the free market at all costs at the moment. The OP has had a valuation that shows that the developer has added value (or managed to buy well) but the banks own valuation is not considered good enough. I wonder if the banks will be applying this rule to themselves ... after all they are repossessing a number of properties at the moment and flipping them straight onto the market. If they have not owned the properties for more than 6 months, are people allowed to raise mortgages in order to buy these repos. Something tells me that the situation will be treated very differently.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 November 2009 at 12:16AM
    Options
    Eyesparky wrote: »
    This is a new one on me. So anyone who renovates and resells properties is being cobbled by the banks under "money laundering" criteria. Nonsense. The banks seem hell bent on destroying the free market at all costs at the moment. The OP has had a valuation that shows that the developer has added value (or managed to buy well) but the banks own valuation is not considered good enough. I wonder if the banks will be applying this rule to themselves ... after all they are repossessing a number of properties at the moment and flipping them straight onto the market. If they have not owned the properties for more than 6 months, are people allowed to raise mortgages in order to buy these repos. Something tells me that the situation will be treated very differently.

Well that's it, isn't it. I bought a repossession that was rendered unmortgageable (ie. a 'risk') and have rectified that situation. So the banks are happy to use me to take that risk off their hands but I'm potentially not allowed to put it back into the marketplace?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Eyesparky
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Well that's it, isn't it. I bought a repossession that was rendered unmortgageable (ie. a 'risk') and have rectified that situation. So the banks are happy to use me to take that risk off their hands but I'm potentially not allowed to put it back into the marketplace?

Hope it all works out for you. The last thing the market needs is more needless roadblocks undermining liquidity.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Eyesparky wrote: »

Hear Hear. The more posts I read about Valuation Surveyors, Banks terms for mortgage etc the more it reinforces my view that they simply don't want mortgage business. It would be nice if the OP could find a few repo's that their bak are selling on and then go back to them with their precedent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure