Speed Camera Incident

solarstone
solarstone Posts: 176 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My Mrs. landed a speeding ticket in my motor a couple of weeks ago. She recalls a flash but says it was from a forward facing camera on the other side of the road. Forward facing cameras don't flash in the std way, they use an infra red flash.

Am I right in thinking then that she was flashed by a Gatso on the other side of the road that shouldn't have been relevant to her, and she has a case for not being stung ?

Any help much appreciated.
Like a priceless jewel buried in dark layers of soil and stone, earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time.

Stately trees seem to brush the deep blue sky. Clouds billow to form magestic peaks. The songs of birds fill the air creating symphony upon symphony

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I read something about forward facing cameras being trialled somewhere that had one flash from the front and then one flash from the back?

Might be talking tosh - or they might be inventing them to prevent people passing their points onto someone else (which is what the article was about - it would have been in The Times fairly recently but not sure when)

M
  • movieman
    movieman Posts: 383 Forumite
    This is why I'm going to start wearing a Tony Blair mask whenever I drive :).

You could ask for the photos: after all, there are a lot of cloned cars on the roads these days, if you don't remember the incident you need proof that it was actually your car that was speeding.

Plus if they can't provide photos you may be let off.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Not helpful, but here is a link to my waffles.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5012832.stm
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Was your Mrs on that road at the time or is she not disputing the fact that she was speeding?
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Surely though to have photographed the number plate the camera must have been pointing at the car, therefore it is immaterial where it is sited? A camera on the other side of the road is unlikely to be either triggered by a car on the correct side of the road, or be in a position to photograph the number plate, or am I misunderstanding?

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    movieman wrote:
    This is why I'm going to start wearing a Tony Blair mask whenever I drive :).

You could ask for the photos: after all, there are a lot of cloned cars on the roads these days, if you don't remember the incident you need proof that it was actually your car that was speeding.

Plus if they can't provide photos you may be let off.

If you want the evidence, you have to go to court to get it - but yes, once you've rejected the opportunity to settle it by means of points+fixed penalty, and request the evidence then the case might get dropped if they find that they can't make it stick.
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    soolin wrote:
    Surely though to have photographed the number plate the camera must have been pointing at the car, therefore it is immaterial where it is sited? A camera on the other side of the road is unlikely to be either triggered by a car on the correct side of the road, or be in a position to photograph the number plate, or am I misunderstanding?

Soo

Speed cameras usually 'take you from behind' so to speak. So the OP is under the impression that since the camera was on the other side of the road, it couldn't possibly have been his wife that set it off.

It should have the location of the alleged offence stated on the NIP - if it's not too far away then I'd be tempted to go and have a look at the camera and compare it to the descriptions on the various speed camera 'spotting' websites so that you can determine what type it is and how it works and whether you have been 'got'.
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    For more infomation:

http://www.pepipoo.com/
  • iceman_2
    iceman_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Truvelo cameras (looks like a Gatso but with a kind of round lens) get you as you drive towards them.

Gatso cameras (square lens) get you as you drive away from them.

If you didnt receive the NIP within 2 weeks of the offence you can get off easily, there's all sorts of other technicalities you can use - check the link above.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I've seen our car flashed by a Gatso on the 'wrong' side of the road once whilst my wife was driving. We were overtaking a car parked on the usual side of the road within the markers on the tarmac, we crossed the centre line and for whatever reason teh Gatso obviously got a false reading and flashed nearly as we passed it. Either way it'd be nigh on impossible for the picture to be of anything but a part of your car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure