CCTV drain survey?

2»

Replies

• keystone wrote: »
    More surveyors applying the CYA principle!! From the first post I get the impression that the surveyor is suggesting to the potential purchaser that they arrange for a survey not that the vendor gets a survey done. The EA is talking nonsense IMHO - he just wants to collect his commission asap. The purchaser has paid for a housebuyers report why should you pick up the tab for its recommends? Either they want to go ahead or not.

Thanks Keystone, that's right, the surveyor clearly says "you (the buyer) are advised to instruct ..." a drainage company to prepare a report. The EA has put the ball back in my court and has provided me with contact details for a drainage company. Not sure why it's back with me though, I too would think it's the purchaser's responsibility to arrange the survey for their own peace of mind.
  • andrew-bandrew-b Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    It would usually be the buyer that foots the bill for a drain test/inspection. From the buyer's point of view that's best anyway as they know the report will be unbiased and true!

A full structural survey sometimes will include a basic drain test (or at least my Dad used to include them as part of a structural survey - he may have charged his clients extra though am not too sure) - pretty simple (but often nasty!) to test TBH if you have the equipment (basically plugging the drain, running a tap and observing the flow of water - can also be done with air though).

A survey will pretty much always recommend a drains survey which indeed does cover the back of the surveyor. However if a potential problem is noted it's advisable to follow their recommendation and seek further tests/reports .

Unfortunately there's an increasing culture of "i bought a house..this this and this was wrong but the surveyor didn't spot it..can i sue them?"..it is this culture that surveyors try to protect themselves through disclaimers! It's also this that is responsible for the rising cost of indemnity insurance for surveyors to carry out their job. FWIW, my father was never sued despite the thousands of surveys he carried out..mainly because he did a thorough survey..not because he covered his back with the necessary disclaimers!

At the end of the day it's always a case of Caveat Emptor.

For the benefit of the OP and others.....buyers should NEVER trust the opinion of an estate agent as they are acting on behalf of the vendor to sell the property and want their commission for selling the property!
  • mchalemchale Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Sorry, but if the is standing water in the drains, I think you will be wasting your money putting a camera down as all the camera will see is "water"
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • keystonekeystone Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    mchale wrote: »
    Sorry, but if the is standing water in the drains, I think you will be wasting your money putting a camera down as all the camera will see is "water"
    See you've done it now.:D Refer to post No10 please. Rinse and repeat.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
    10.9K Posts
    key_mel wrote: »
    Thanks Keystone, that's right, the surveyor clearly says "you (the buyer) are advised to instruct ..." a drainage company to prepare a report. The EA has put the ball back in my court and has provided me with contact details for a drainage company. Not sure why it's back with me though, I too would think it's the purchaser's responsibility to arrange the survey for their own peace of mind.
    So what reason has the surveyor given for making this suggestion? He must have had one unless he is being a total wimp and covered his backside all the way through the report in which case its totally useless and the Purchaser has wasted their money having it done.

Ask the EA what they think they are playing at.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
    10.9K Posts
    How old is the property by the way and do you share your foul water drainage with a neighbouring property?

Cheers
  • key_melkey_mel Forumite
    10 Posts
    20+ and so no shared drainage. Surveyor said to investigate possible previous and current blockages. Never had any problems so put it back to the EA. :confused: Ta.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals