Plea - An Idiot's Guide to Broadband please....?

Options
We are currently on AOL dial-up (£15.99 a month) and we looking at Broadband.

I've read all the stuff on here, and I have to say my head is spinning....:confused:

I tend to be online quite a lot (well, actually, an awful lot), but don't necessarily "download" files (eg music, games or film clips) as such, most of it is just surfing (eg MSE!), internet banking, emailing and that sort of stuff. I have no idea whether the long time I spend online means I need an unlimited service, or whether I would be inside the download limits of, say BT?Yahoo (BT Broadband Option 1: 2GB of data per month BT Broadband Option 2: 6GB of data per month)? There is no explanation on the BT site of how you are supposed to know how much you download....

Its further complicated because they connected our house to the telephone exchange with a dodgy material (spaghetti or something I think) and most providers say they either can't provide or we would need further investigation.

I am also on Post Office home phones (and still have about 4-5 months on this to get my £50 money back deal), so does this count as a BT line or not, but also means that something like the all inclusive Talk Talk deal is not an option at the moment...

I am tempted to just stay with AOL as we have our email addresses there and I'm not sure I can be bothered with changing everything, but I do want a good deal at the end of the day...

Can someone give me a straightforward idiot's no jargon or techie talk guide to what I need....?? :o

Comments

• mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    you can get broadband by being with the post office

from what you've said 2GB should be ample for your needs, but I guess you can always upgrade later if needed
  • In_for_a_Bargain
    In_for_a_Bargain Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Options
    There is somewhere on BT site that gives you an idea of what you can do for your 2GB. They also have a thing where you can enter how much time you spend on listening to radio, sending/receiving e-mails etc and it will tell you which package you would best with. I am not sure where exactly this is as it is a long time since I went on this particular part of site. I would say from what you have listed that 2GB would be fine, as I have 2 teenagers and myself all using it quite a lot and we have never gone over the limit yet. They used to have a usage monitor which was handy, but now they just send you an E-mail if you go over you limit and if you go over it regularly they would suggest you change to a different package.Hope this is helpful for you.
    If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect....................................
    Why practice!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport