sort of a rant, so called free Sky+HD box

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
14 replies 1.6K views
st999st999 Forumite
1.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Just before I put the latest Sky mag into the recycling bin I noticed the FREE SKY+HD BOX deal on the front cover.

Yeh right!

£2 per WEEK to upgrade to Sky movies, HD pack £10 per month and £30 set up fee.

So to get a FREE SKY+HD BOX it will cost me £254.

I don't think I'll bother, considering my old CRT telly can't show HD anyway. And I still think my picture looks better than an LCD telly

Stan
75 years old and still here.

Replies

• marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I will stick with my V+HD box ;) even though I dont have a HD telly yet.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • And I'll stick with my Sony Bravia HD TV with Sky + HD, thus enjoying stunning definition and clarity :D
  • isplummisplumm Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    st999 wrote: »
    Just before I put the latest Sky mag into the recycling bin I noticed the FREE SKY+HD BOX deal on the front cover.

Yeh right!

£2 per WEEK to upgrade to Sky movies, HD pack £10 per month and £30 set up fee.

So to get a FREE SKY+HD BOX it will cost me £254.

I don't think I'll bother, considering my old CRT telly can't show HD anyway. And I still think my picture looks better than an LCD telly

Stan

But the box is free ... but to actually watch anything, you need to pay for the HD service (or maybe you can get things like BBC HD for free? Not sure?) as to movies, well if you want well you will have to pay for - nothing to do with Hd box.

I have Sky HD+ - thik it is excellent!!

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • davidlizarddavidlizard Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have seen of HD telly, I currently have it down as one of the most over-hyped things out there at present.

Every time I have reason to phone Sky, they are pushing HD down my throat. The magazine is HD this, HD that. And Sky have phoned me several times trying to persuade me to "upgrade". No way.

I can see an improvement over standard definition television, but certainly not enough to make me want to go and spend a couple of hundred pounds on a box and £10/month (or £254/year as st999 points out).
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    viktory wrote: »
    And I'll stick with my Sony Bravia HD TV with Sky + HD, thus enjoying stunning definition and clarity :D

Does the Sky+HD really make a huge difference to the already fantastic Bravia Picture?

Just curious as we have a Bravia and I can't see how much better it could get.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have seen of HD telly, I currently have it down as one of the most over-hyped things out there at present.

Every time I have reason to phone Sky, they are pushing HD down my throat. The magazine is HD this, HD that. And Sky have phoned me several times trying to persuade me to "upgrade". No way.

I can see an improvement over standard definition television, but certainly not enough to make me want to go and spend a couple of hundred pounds on a box and £10/month (or £254/year as st999 points out).

you just need to see a decent set up
    HD channels are stunning
    normal telly upscaled to 1080i is very good
    im on virgin mind
    dunno what they did but over the last few months the upscaled SD picture has really improved
  • An HD source on an HD TV will look better as there is much more information on screen.

However if you are happy with what you have there is no reason to upgrade
  • edited 1 November 2009 at 8:24AM
    viktoryviktory
    7.6K Posts
    edited 1 November 2009 at 8:24AM
    Does the Sky+HD really make a huge difference to the already fantastic Bravia Picture?

Just curious as we have a Bravia and I can't see how much better it could get.

Yes, it definately makes a difference. The clarity is stunning. We always choose HD where possible.

Slightly off topic but having Sky+ is brilliant. I love being able to record, pause and rewind TV - great if you need to make a cup of tea or go to the loo. Plus, if you have paused a programme, you can then use that time to fast forward the adverts. Brilliant!

My Sky+ HD box only cost £50 as Sky were doing a deal, (and no, I was not a new customer) plus an additional £10 per month on top of my usual £22 per month (I have the basic package with no movies or sport and I see no need for either). Excellent value in my opinion.
  • renegaderenegade Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I didn't believe the hype about HD TV as I was happy with my Sony Bravia, but I was drawn to the features on the Sky + box, so I opted for that with the Variety /Movies channels. I am so pleased that I did, the HD is absolutley stunning and more and more channels are going HD too. Now I don't think I could give it up and go back to just TV. I use the pause and rewind features a lot, they are excellent and the Sky+ box is so simple to use even for an old fogy like me! I does what it says on the box lol. If you can afford it I would say go for it you will never regret it.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    viktory wrote: »
    Yes, it definately makes a difference. The clarity is stunning. We always choose HD where possible.

Slightly off topic but having Sky+ is brilliant. I love being able to record, pause and rewind TV - great if you need to make a cup of tea or go to the loo. Plus, if you have paused a programme, you can then use that time to fast forward the adverts. Brilliant!

My Sky+ HD box only cost £50 as Sky were doing a deal, (and no, I was not a new customer) plus an additional £10 per month on top of my usual £22 per month (I have the basic package with no movies or sport and I see no need for either). Excellent value in my opinion.

Thanks Viktory, that's the package we'd go for, we really don't want to have to sign up for movies every month, which the current deal requires. We'll have to wait for that one to come around again.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals