Incorrect Charges made to Egg Credit card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
1 reply 675 views
mpcooke3mpcooke3 Forumite
6 Posts
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I could do with some advice about the best way to get get some incorrect charges to my credit card refunded.
Due to a problem Egg was having I have been unable to access my credit card statement for some time, recently they managed to fix this problem. When I checked my credit card statement I noticed one company (TGV europe a train booking company) had incorrectly charged my credit card 3 times due to a technical problem on their website payment system.

Basically the payment failed twice and I was sent two emails saying "payment failure", on the third time it succeeded. However, I've now discovered that my egg card was charged three times. Which means I was overcharged in total about £118. (2x £59). These charges were made to my card on the 15th September.

I have been in contact with TGV Europe by email and they now want me to write to their belgium office which is a little frustrating. I suspect knowing the french way of dealing with these kind of issues, after a month they may send me a letter back asking me for more information.

My question is, what is my best/quickest/easiest option? Should I try to chase up the incorrect charges with Egg? (What are my chances?) Also is there a time limit to dispute these charge with Egg, if I spend time trying to sort it out by writing to TGV's belgium office will I lose the opportunity to dispute it with Egg?

Any advice most welcome. FYI, although they incorrectly charge my card three times I only received one set of tickets, I didn't receive tickets for the payment attempts that appeared to fail.

Replies

• jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your first port of call should always be the retailer - even if they are abroad (your choice when buying).
    Only if they do nothing will Egg get involved.

It may be worth your while contacting Egg to see if you can dispute the 2 rogue transactions and ask them whether you have to pay for them now (to avoid paying interest if you clear the balance every month) or wait for the refunds to come through.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals