Alliance & Leicester have stolen my money!

edited 2 November 2009 at 8:50PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
42 replies 3.4K views
Little_ChickenLittle_Chicken Forumite
2.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 2 November 2009 at 8:50PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I called A&L to close my accounts 3 weeks ago - and I still haven't received the funds into my bank:mad::mad::mad: £2.5k has now been kept by them for three weeks. Can you believe it. I just called them again and they said it will take another 4 working days as they need to make the request again.:mad::mad::mad:

If I was overdrawn by the same amount of money for this long I can just imagine how much they would charge me.:money: Am absolutely livid. I could have just gone and taken the cash out from a branch if I'd known how long it would take. Totally crap!!!!!!!

End of rant.:A:A:A

PS: for those dullards with no creativity or imagination - I'm happy to accept that the money may not have been stolen for the long term - but I'll leave the final decision on that until my money is returned (or not!).
:grin: Save me from spending...
Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k

Replies

• RadoJoRadoJo Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Are they supposed to be transferring the money direct to your new account, or sending a cheque? Have they given a reason for the hold up?
    If it's a process based hold-up, then there's probably something in their Ts and Cs about the time it 'could' take, but if someone has actually made a mistake, then it's worth sending them a letter of complaint.
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did you not withdraw the money before closing the account?

I don't want to alarm you but please be advised> I requested they close my account and 8 weeks later, I am still waiting.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Little_ChickenLittle_Chicken Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    missile wrote: »
    Why did you not withdraw the money before closing the account?

I don't want to alarm you but please be advised> I requested they close my account and 8 weeks later, I am still waiting.

I just thought in this day and age it wuld be simple to transfer the money:money: I asked them to close all of my accounts (I had 3) and transfer it all in one go, otherwise you have to leave £1 in there. With hindsight I should have transferred the bulk of the money myself.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

They haven't given me a reason for the delay. Clearly just a c.o.c.k. up on their side. It's a good job I got paid today. grrrrrr.:mad:
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    RadoJo wrote: »
    Are they supposed to be transferring the money direct to your new account, or sending a cheque? Have they given a reason for the hold up?
    If it's a process based hold-up, then there's probably something in their Ts and Cs about the time it 'could' take, but if someone has actually made a mistake, then it's worth sending them a letter of complaint.

Hi RJ - It's definitely their mistake - I'll write and outline how much I'm charging them next week. What's the going rate? £25 a day???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • So has the money gone missing somewhere and A&L are saying that you've lost your £2.5k. I'm just trying to work out whether your money has been stolen or just delayed
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner

Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice as different people have different needs.
  • Debt_Free_ChickDebt_Free_Chick Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they've stolen your money, call the Police. They'll take it on for you ... if it's truly stolen ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    claretmatt wrote: »
    So has the money gone missing somewhere and A&L are saying that you've lost your £2.5k. I'm just trying to work out whether your money has been stolen or just delayed

No - it's not missing - they've closed my account and not given me my money.....:money: They just haven't transferred it into the account I asked them to - but equally I can't access it. So - I class it as stolen. They admit they still have it.:mad::mad::mad:
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    but equally I can't access it. So - I class it as stolen.

Let me get this right - you lose your car keys, can't get into it, so you phone the Police because you:- "class it as stolen" ?
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Let me get this right - you lose your car keys, can't get into it, so you phone the Police because you:- "class it as stolen" ?

You seem confused....how have I 'lost' anything?!?!?!? A&L haven't transferred my money from an account that they've now closed...it's like going into a shop and paying for something and the shopkeeper deciding to keep your change.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • ariarniaariarnia Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    not really, the shop keepers intend would be to keep the change, the bank intend to transfer the money eventually, there just a bit slow.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals