Plusnet vs O2 Access - which is better?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
4 replies 2.9K views
minerva_windsongminerva_windsong Forumite
3.8K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
(I am asking about O2 Access because that's all we can get...)

Long story short, as I am the family techno whizz my mum has asked me to sort out getting us set up with wireless broadband (we currently have AOL wired broadband). I have narrowed it down to a choice of Plusnet and O2 as the cheapest ones that we can get - sadly our area doesn't get Be and the TalkTalk package is quite a lot of money due to add on costs.

Plusnet is slightly cheaper but as I watch quite a bit of online TV I don't know if it's worth taking the risk with O2 Access (about which I have heard bad things) and paying more money to have the security of unlimited downloads. Plusnet only offers 80GB on its top package but although it does say what that amounts on the website it has it for high definition TV, which I don't watch (unless iPlayer is now all high definition unbeknowst to me).

So basically, does anyone here have experience of either of those services, and if so which would you choose?

Thanks in advance!
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
Married my best friend 1st November 2014
Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")

Replies

• edited 28 October 2009 at 2:06PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 October 2009 at 2:06PM
    Read the O2 forums for the bad news about Access. It's a lottery, you might be OK but you might be crawling...totally depends on the exchange.
    Do you have any LLU options?
    www.samknows.com, then exchange search.
    Are you talking about Plusnet Pro or Plusnet Premium-different products?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • minerva_windsongminerva_windsong Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    Read the O2 forums for the bad news about Access. It's a lottery, you might be OK but you might be crawling...totally depends on the exchange.
    Do you have any LLU options?
    www.samknows.com, then exchange search.
    Are you talking about Plusnet Pro or Plusnet Premium-different products?

Plusnet Premium - Pro's daytime download capacity isn't big enough.

We don't have any LLU options according to samknows, all we can get is ADSL.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • edited 28 October 2009 at 3:19PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 October 2009 at 3:19PM
    Given similar pricing, I would go for Plusnet. It's recently dropped from an 18m to a 12m contract, so if things on your exchange alter over the next year you're not locked in beyond that.
    Or you can now pay a £30 set up fee and that means you only have to give 10 days notice to leave.
    Alternative is to go on the O2 forums and see if you can find out how good/bad Access is on your exchange.
    Quidco payout is similar on both.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • if you ever get into querying your Plusnet bill they will remove the transactions page so you cant see it...disgraceful behaviour,,,they also do not bill correctly or at the correct time.BEWARE cheap is not always better !
    They are owned by BT! that should say it all!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides