How to transfer a previous year’s Cash ISA when I have maxed my 2009-10 ISA?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
3 replies 697 views
ScratchyfaceScratchyface Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I have a stocks & shares ISA 09-10 at the over-50’s limit of £10,200. Meanwhile I’m trying to sort out my C&G Cash ISA from 02-03 (~ £12k) which has a negligible rate of interest. I have tried several new providers who accept transfer of a previous year’s Cash ISA (eg C&G themselves, Abbey, F’Direct) but all seem to require new money to open the new account before I can transfer in the old balance. I can't legally do this as I already have this year's maximum sum.

Is the only option to wait until next April, or are there good providers out there who will accept a previous year's Cash ISA without a new subscription?

Sorry if this has been asked & answered previously. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Replies

• BaldurBaldur Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Most providers that accept ISA transfers do not require new money - e.g. transfers to First Direct's e-ISA have been made, by posters on these boards, with no new money being subscribed.
  • BaldurBaldur Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Thinking about it, I have transferred previous tax years' ISA funds several times and, unless I chose to subscribe the applicable tax year's allowance to the new ISA, I have never *had* to do so in order to facilitate the transfer. The transferred funds invariably exceed any minimum opening balance required by a new provider.
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only one I can remember doing as a transfer-only was Kent Reliance** - variable one not too hot, but they have a 1 year fix at 3.2%.

**This was a few years ago, so best to check with them first.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals