can i quit my job on medical grounds

Options

Comments

• skintbint_2
    skintbint_2 Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    re horaces reply regarding not getting jobseekeers, He would be able to claim jobseekers allowance straight away - just because you are unfit for one type of work does not mean you are unfit for another, if he leaves a job voluntarily he will be given the oppertunity to complete a form giving full reasons why he had to leave and this would be referred to a decision maker who would look at all aspects and chances he would be allowed full jobseekers allowance (it is a myth that you automatically loose benefit for 26 weeks) but nothing is sure until all facts are gathered, He would also be able to speak to a disability employment adviser who should be able to support him and look at his other skills, and training. If he claims ESA he also has the opportunity to speak to an adviser who would also do the same. hope this helps
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • woodbine wrote: »
    if he quit on the basis of being unfit for work he wouldnt claim jsa but esa
    what is esa thanks
  • skintbint wrote: »
    re horaces reply regarding not getting jobseekeers, He would be able to claim jobseekers allowance straight away - just because you are unfit for one type of work does not mean you are unfit for another, if he leaves a job voluntarily he will be given the oppertunity to complete a form giving full reasons why he had to leave and this would be referred to a decision maker who would look at all aspects and chances he would be allowed full jobseekers allowance (it is a myth that you automatically loose benefit for 26 weeks) but nothing is sure until all facts are gathered, He would also be able to speak to a disability employment adviser who should be able to support him and look at his other skills, and training. If he claims ESA he also has the opportunity to speak to an adviser who would also do the same. hope this helps

hi thank you this is the kind of help we are looking for yes my husband can do office work or any work where he dosnt have to stand for to long we are not looking at beening of benefits long term just now while we get sorted what is this esa thanks
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    thankyou for your replies

just a few things i want to clear up.

First thing about the benefit mentality thing.My husband and i have both worked since we left school,we are both in our forties. i stopped working when i had my two children one is mentally ill the other has adhd (no i dont clain dla or carers allowance for them),so i have to be around to look after them,so why cant we claim when we have both paid into the system,why cant my children have free hot school meals and free music lessons if the government says you can have them on benefits.I`m sorry you cant afford music lessons for your children but thats not our fault.How can you judge us,if you had asked a few more questions you may have discovered why we would be better off on benefits

My husbandsjob

my husband got signed off work by his doctor as he has injured both his knees,he is awaiting surgery on them.The gp said it was not safe for him to go out on site as his knees could give way at any moment,not good when your sixty feet in the air on scaffolding.My husband asked his company if he could do office work but they said no.His company are now putting people on gardening leave which means you go to the head office they tell you they have no work for you but will in 5 months they will pay you £100 for the first month then you claim jobseekers allowance(the government have agreed this)people cant afford to live on £100 for a month so they leave and the company doesnt have to pay redundancy,underhand but this is the construction industry,so i doubt anyone would be grateful of this job at any time

so here our situation

My husband cant work,the sick pay is not full pay not even half the pay we used to get and we cant pay for everything.If by some miracle after surgery my husband can do his job he will be put on gardening leave,so we end up on benefits,where i would be better off,its not our fault that government makes you better off on benefits than company sick pay.If we was on benefits then my husband will be able to retrain to do a job he can do,as he does actually want to work.So can you quit on medical grounds and if you can how

Why not?

extra words
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    what is esa thanks

Employment Support Allowance it replaced incapacity benefit for new claimants last october,and all existing claims will be transfered over in time
  • skintbint_2
    skintbint_2 Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    i would also suggest that you claim DLA & Carers allowance as this attracts a premium where you would recieve an extra £28(cant remember exactly but think its about that) approx a week on top of your husbands claim because you are a carer and because the children have a health issue you may recieve extra CTC as well as the DLA, you may not like claiming these benefits but until you are back on track that is what they are there for - by the way DLA etc ae not taken into account for Housing Benefit and as long as you get a penny of JSA income based you would get the housing and council tax
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you can't work?
    thankyou for your replies

just a few things i want to clear up.

First thing about the benefit mentality thing.My husband and i have both worked since we left school,we are both in our forties. i stopped working when i had my two children one is mentally ill the other has adhd (no i dont clain dla or carers allowance for them),so i have to be around to look after them,so why cant we claim when we have both paid into the system,why cant my children have free hot school meals and free music lessons if the government says you can have them on benefits.I`m sorry you cant afford music lessons for your children but thats not our fault.How can you judge us,if you had asked a few more questions you may have discovered why we would be better off on benefits
    I did ask the question :rolleyes: did I judge you...NO! I must have missed the posts about other people not being able to afford music lessons/free school meals etc etc for their kids.

Had you given all the info at the start then there really would be no need for further questions.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • the_whole_of_the_moon
    the_whole_of_the_moon Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2009 at 12:07AM
    Options
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
    What's wrong with doing retraining through a local college or something, and THEN quitting his job?
    Can he at least try for voluntary redundancy so that he has some money to support the family in the meantime?
    Being 'better off' on benefits - I really do not understand this mentality at all - NOBODY is better off on benefits - they are there for an emergency situation, not so that you can put your children in musical lessons that many of us who work full time simply cannot afford.
    To be in the building trade and still have a job in the current climate - he's a lucky man to have his job. I know several that would jump at the chance to have it.

this is the person who judge our situation

beening told we are lucky to have this job when we are not saying that we wouldnt be better of on benefits when we would

the things i said about the music lesson and the school meals where just extras we would get on benefit what we dont get now on sick pay that was the point i was making we are struggling on this income yet if we was on benefit we would have a more afordable income and get the extras

i did say in my first post that my husband would be unlikely to be able to do his job yes mybe i should of gave a bit more detial but i didnt desvere this tongue lashing i was only asking for some advice
  • DX2 wrote: »
    I did ask the question :rolleyes: did I judge you...NO! I must have missed the posts about other people not being able to afford music lessons/free school meals etc etc for their kids.

Had you given all the info at the start then there really would be no need for further questions.

i didnt say that YOU did judge me i responed to your question on why i cant work that all sorry if upset you
  • nickyhutch wrote: »
    Why not?

extra words
    i have herd that you can only claim for your children if you need to care for them more than you would normally well my children are 5 and 10 and need 24 hour care anyway regardless of there mental health or adhd so i have never botherd to claim for them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure