can i quit my job on medical grounds

Options
hi my husband has been signed of work for 12 weeks now he is awaiting an opp he has bad knees we are currantly reciving child tax credit and company sick pay which is not full sick pay and we have to pay some rent and council tax out of it

i was wondering weather or not he could quit his job on medical grounds as he company is laying of people at the moment and i dont think he could go back to that type of work as it to hard on his knees its his job that caused the knee pain no accident just wear and tear as he works on a building site

i know if he quit his job we would be better of as he will get state benefit and then get full housing benefit and councill tax benefit also the kids would get free school meals and help with musical lessons and my husband can retrain to do a another job with out injuring himself

the thing is i dont no if you can do this though i dont want him to quit his job and then find out he cant do this so and be in a worst situation than now dose anyone know where we stand on this any advice would be great thanks

Comments

• kerry13238
    Options
    what about medical retirement
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Your husband needs to sit tight as regards his job. If he quits he will not get paid the notice due or his holiday pay. I have felt many times that I should quit as the process of being sacked on the grounds of ill health/ medical retirement is very stressful but it i quit i wont receive anything from work...and im worth more than that!!!
    Good luck
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's wrong with doing retraining through a local college or something, and THEN quitting his job?
    Can he at least try for voluntary redundancy so that he has some money to support the family in the meantime?
    Being 'better off' on benefits - I really do not understand this mentality at all - NOBODY is better off on benefits - they are there for an emergency situation, not so that you can put your children in musical lessons that many of us who work full time simply cannot afford.
    To be in the building trade and still have a job in the current climate - he's a lucky man to have his job. I know several that would jump at the chance to have it.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    hi my husband has been signed of work for 12 weeks now he is awaiting an opp he has bad knees we are currantly reciving child tax credit and company sick pay which is not full sick pay and we have to pay some rent and council tax out of it

i was wondering weather or not he could quit his job on medical grounds as he company is laying of people at the moment and i dont think he could go back to that type of work as it to hard on his knees its his job that caused the knee pain no accident just wear and tear as he works on a building site

i know if he quit his job we would be better of as he will get state benefit and then get full housing benefit and councill tax benefit also the kids would get free school meals and help with musical lessons and my husband can retrain to do a another job with out injuring himself

the thing is i dont no if you can do this though i dont want him to quit his job and then find out he cant do this so and be in a worst situation than now dose anyone know where we stand on this any advice would be great thanks
    Is there a reason why you can't work?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Is there any scope for retraining in his current company?

My husband was a postman and badly injured his knee on delivery and is unable to work as a postman again. He worked with Royal Mail and they found him a job in operations management. He's got better future prospects there, with different areas of management he could move into with more experience and training.

Although he was devastated when he had the accident and was told he'd never work as a postman again, he's actually got a much better future now as he has better career and money prospects and he finds the work much more enjoyable than when he was on deliveries.

It would be worth talking to the company he works for and see if there is anyway he can be moved into another role.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Another thing to consider, if his company is laying people off, perhaps they'll make him redundant.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Another thing to remember - if he quits then he will have to wait for 26 weeks to receive JSA. Far better to sit tight with his job and the company may decide to make him redundant or suggest ill health retirement.

If you are struggling - could you not get a part time job to help out and your husband can stay home with the kids?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    Another thing to remember - if he quits then he will have to wait for 26 weeks to receive JSA. Far better to sit tight with his job and the company may decide to make him redundant or suggest ill health retirement.

If you are struggling - could you not get a part time job to help out and your husband can stay home with the kids?

if he quit on the basis of being unfit for work he wouldnt claim jsa but esa
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    Another thing to remember - if he quits then he will have to wait for 26 weeks to receive JSA. ?

Not only is this a rather sweeping generalisation but it's also incredibly unlikely.
  • thankyou for your replies

just a few things i want to clear up.

First thing about the benefit mentality thing.My husband and i have both worked since we left school,we are both in our forties. i stopped working when i had my two children one is mentally ill the other has adhd (no i dont clain dla or carers allowance for them),so i have to be around to look after them,so why cant we claim when we have both paid into the system,why cant my children have free hot school meals and free music lessons if the government says you can have them on benefits.I`m sorry you cant afford music lessons for your children but thats not our fault.How can you judge us,if you had asked a few more questions you may have discovered why we would be better off on benefits

My husbandsjob

my husband got signed off work by his doctor as he has injured both his knees,he is awaiting surgery on them.The gp said it was not safe for him to go out on site as his knees could give way at any moment,not good when your sixty feet in the air on scaffolding.My husband asked his company if he could do office work but they said no.His company are now putting people on gardening leave which means you go to the head office they tell you they have no work for you but will in 5 months they will pay you £100 for the first month then you claim jobseekers allowance(the government have agreed this)people cant afford to live on £100 for a month so they leave and the company doesnt have to pay redundancy,underhand but this is the construction industry,so i doubt anyone would be grateful of this job at any time

so here our situation

My husband cant work,the sick pay is not full pay not even half the pay we used to get and we cant pay for everything.If by some miracle after surgery my husband can do his job he will be put on gardening leave,so we end up on benefits,where i would be better off,its not our fault that government makes you better off on benefits than company sick pay.If we was on benefits then my husband will be able to retrain to do a job he can do,as he does actually want to work.So can you quit on medical grounds and if you can how
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure