MSE News: Ombudsman slams banks for ignoring hardship reclaims

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Financial Ombudsman has slapped banks' wrists, telling them they must stop ignoring bank charge claims from those in financial hardship ..."

Replies

• jdxjdx Forumite
    226 Posts
    :D

Thanks MSE Guy
  • natweststaffmembernatweststaffmember Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE Guy, it is about time that we got this from the Ombudsman since their guidance in March this year was the same. It clearly means that the numbers of complaints going to the FOS is the route cause. Nationwide are particularly good at explaining their reasoning. I think that the MSE Hardship guide needs work on it because it is suggesting that a rejection should automatically lead to going to the FOS and further compounding the situation already caused. Furthermore, Martin's statement is clearly not a good one, I am afraid. Evidence of the banks' breaching the FSA Waiver is exactly 35 from August 2008 until the end of September 2009.
    Furthermore, the OFT can apply for an injunction against the charges if the Supreme Court comes out in the consumers favour.
    Let's be rational on this.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • My reclaim case was put on hold and i've not had any correspondance from lloyds tsb in over a year - possibly two...except now they are sending bailiffs out to recover the money i am trying to reclaim!!!
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reclaim case was put on hold and i've not had any correspondance from lloyds tsb in over a year - possibly two...except now they are sending bailiffs out to recover the money i am trying to reclaim!!!
    Why are they sending bailiffs if you have not been to court for the amount you owe?
    Did you receive a notification of being sued?

• I totally agree this is an area which needs looking in to.

Recently my husband has found himself out of work having being in the high level executive stakes for over 25 years, he was forced to sign on for state benefits and as a result are savings have virtually dwindled away to cover bills. I recently contacted our Credit Card companies to inform them of this, one being the Bank i use for the current account. I explained the situation we were facing in that over the next few months things would be very tight and we may be in a position where we are "struggling" to pay for food and basic living needs. I asked if there was any way they could lower the interest rates on the credit cards, thus we wouldn't have so much going out and could keep our heads above water. I was horrified when they said no the only way they could help was if we were to go into debt and nothing could be done until that time. I felt totally disgusted that having acted responsible and trying to do the most sensible thing, we find that the banks in fact don't help you, just make things worse. This has resulted in me contacting the financial ombudsman and they are currently looking into the matter. I want to know if anyone knows any loopholes that can help us!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nikkie_K wrote: »
    I totally agree this is an area which needs looking in to.

Recently my husband has found himself out of work having being in the high level executive stakes for over 25 years, he was forced to sign on for state benefits and as a result are savings have virtually dwindled away to cover bills. I recently contacted our Credit Card companies to inform them of this, one being the Bank i use for the current account. I explained the situation we were facing in that over the next few months things would be very tight and we may be in a position where we are "struggling" to pay for food and basic living needs. I asked if there was any way they could lower the interest rates on the credit cards, thus we wouldn't have so much going out and could keep our heads above water. I was horrified when they said no the only way they could help was if we were to go into debt and nothing could be done until that time. I felt totally disgusted that having acted responsible and trying to do the most sensible thing, we find that the banks in fact don't help you, just make things worse. This has resulted in me contacting the financial ombudsman and they are currently looking into the matter. I want to know if anyone knows any loopholes that can help us!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Why didn't you look into balance transferring across each other and reducing the rates that way? I don't see this issue as necessarily financial hardship as yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides