Blue Sky Claims - Is it a scam?

Options
Last night, my husband received a phone call from a company called Blue Sky Claims who said that they think he was mis-sold protection on a loan when we bought our car. I asked them to email me details of what they do, and below is what I've just received...

"We offer a full financial review to establish any potential claims you may have and how much you are due back as a result of mis sold Payment Protection Insurance, invalid, unenforceable or fundamentally flawed mortgages, loans, HP and credit cards.The Consumer Credit Act 1974 is designed to protect you and I, the consumer, from the Banks taking advantage of our lack of knowledge. So should any of your agreements be presently outstanding it is likely that the bank/lender has breached the Consumer Credit Act of 1974, which is likely to result in the credit agreement being written off.
The fee for our services is £200 and this covers an initial review of all your finances over the last 6 /12 years regardless if you have paid them off. This is an upfront fee. If we find there are no claims to be made then we will fully refund £200 back to you."

It sounds too good to be true, does anybody know anything about this, should I steer clear? there must be a catch surely?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• natweststaffmember
    Options
    Well, they take a percentage of any money paid out as well so can you do it yourself and get 100% of the money back?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • PaddysMum
    Options
    No they said that the £200 covers everything, regardless of how much I get back!
  • simon_templar_2
    Options
    "Last night, my husband received a phone call from a company called Blue Sky Claims who said that they think he was mis-sold protection on a loan when we bought our car."

How do they know if ppi was mis-sold? Where they with your husband when he bought the car?
  • Bettina6
    Options
    I have dealt with this company and after over 6 mnths involvement and them handling my details I have ended up owing them just over £2,000,00.
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you would be very lucky to get the up-front fee refunded if there turned out to be no reason to claim. You say you have ppi on a car loan, why do you think it was mis-sold? You should know more then they will - did the policy not cover your circumstances, were you pushed into it or misinformed on the conditions? If you think you may have a claim then you can send the template letters from this site, which is exactly what this company would do anyway, and keep your £200.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Be aware that this thread is 11 months old, and the OP hasn't been back since the day they joined.

New user Bettina6 resurrected this thread.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • talla4a
    talla4a Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Bettina6 wrote: »
    I have dealt with this company and after over 6 mnths involvement and them handling my details I have ended up owing them just over £2,000,00.
    How much in total did they recover on your behalf?
  • Emma_bowen
    Options
    I just recieved my invoice for blue sky claims, and...including the 200 fee that i ALSO assumed was the only amount i would have to pay... I now have to pay back over 900 for a 2800 ppi recieved from my bank. I find this highly unfair, although I did sign the agreement that I would pay 25% at the end of the claim. However I wasn't really paying attention - my fault I know - but I recommend that you download the FREE claims form off the internet as my brother did and receive ALL of your ppi back for yourself
  • Emma_bowen
    Options
    I thought that too sweet, but its not just 200...its 25% of whatever you get at the end of it also. You can download your own form and do it yourself, it's really not as difficult as you may think x
  • ispyforthefbi
    Options
    I had 3 claims through blue sky claims and my dad just got one which i sorted for him through blue sky . They are deffo NOT a scam company and are very good to deal with . They do charge quite a bit upon completion of only successful claims , mine were 20% plus vat and i payed a one off payment of £120 to some third party company that blue sky used to use for their tele sales and leads , can't recall their name but they were dodgy so blue sky no longer use them . My dads is gonna be 30% plus vat which to be honest is high but not as high as some companies . My experience with Blue sky has been perfect and i have my personal claims handlers number in my mobile phone :) If you have time patience and money to spend on calls , to potentially wait along time and pull ur hair out in process TO GET BACK SOME MONEY THAT YOU NEVER EVER THOUGHT ONE DAY YOU COULD GET BACK ... then deal directly with banks and their numerous call lines and depts and idiotic staff . Also many of the banks depts which deal with PPI or Customer relations are charged and not freephone anyway . That path was not for me to be honest as i work fulltime and am very busy . So although it is abit annoying giving a lump of ur compo to a third party i honestly did not mind ,overall . I remember in between claims i did not have my claim handlers direct (non premium ) number and needed to call them and they had indeed changed numbers from freephone to a expensive line but i used my noggin and searched their website , there you will find an 0871 number at 10p per min from landline . Over all in my experience Blue sky are amazing service , rapid turn around on claims , my first claim took matter of weeks until i got a cheque but yes you will have to pay them a seemingly high fee but weighing up everything its worth it IMO . To me i just seen the money as a bonus no matter what fee it was . The thing that really annoys me is the Bank Charges alot more than the PPI miss selling cos i find them bank charges totally unlawful , unfair and simply disgusting , im hoping they will eventually over rule that but for now Blue sky advise me they are on the back burner and NOT forgotten about . Hope my comment helps someone .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure