I would really appreciate some help!! Sleepright mattress non-delivery.

Options
Hi,

To cut a long story short I ordered a mattress from Sleepright (part of Carpetright) on 1/9/09. Delivery was arranged for a 2 weeks later but mattress was damaged in transit and we were told a new one would be ordered. 10 days on from that we find out that new mattress wasn't ordered. Many, many phone calls and emailed complaints to customer services later and, 7 weeks after ordering, we still have no delivery date. We have said that we want a refund if not delivered by end of week but I can't see it being that easy to obtain. Their customer services don't seem to care that much - where do I go now?? Who do I complain to? Do I go to an ombudsman of some description or trading standards? Many thanks for your advice.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    write to them again or email.
    Tell them how unhappy you are and that some of their staff have been unhelpful.

Give them a date for delivery and use the phrase 'time is of the essence' and if it is not delivered then you are entitled to a refund. If they dont play ball go to trading standards.
    Good luck.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • The_Pedant
    Options
    Also, as they are effectively replacing an item you have bought & they have already privided, I would turn to the Sale of Gooda Act for a little extra backup:
    Section 48B(2):-
    If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
    (a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
    I would play on the point that it's a mattress that you need in order to sleep properly ;-) Given the daily use a mattress would get, I would state in no uncertain terms that you consider the 7 weeks thus far to be far in excess of a 'reasonable' timescale for a refund or a replacement.
  • Ivory_Tinkler
    Options
    Did you pay by credit card? If so you might be able to claim back via them for non-delivery.
  • nifter
    nifter Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thank you for your replies. I have drafted a very snotty complaint and will be emailing it regardless of whether we get the mattress which they have today promised to deliver on Sunday. Perhaps I could try and claim for unnecessary stress!! ha ha!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    nifter wrote: »
    thank you for your replies. I have drafted a very snotty complaint and will be emailing it regardless of whether we get the mattress which they have today promised to deliver on Sunday. Perhaps I could try and claim for unnecessary stress!! ha ha!

I wouldn't be too worried if you get a refund rather than the mattress. The chances are that you would be able to get a far better mattress for far less money on line.
  • clairey22
    Options
    Reminds me of the nightmare I had with Sleepright last year..

Ordered Divan Bed and Mattress was told delivery would be in 3 weeks. Price was about £800. When it arrived the plastic on the divan base was ripped and there were large 10" long filthy dirty patches on the white material. I refused to accept delivery of the base and it was sent back (delivery man was very rude and didnt want to take it back!).

After a week or so and lot of hassle (so I didnt need to sleep on the floor anymore!) they loaned me a cheaper base they had in stock (delivered at midnight as they were running late with deliveries) and promised to order me a new base in the original design I had paid for. Told me it would take 3 weeks for a new base, I waited and kept chasing them up (went into the store about 20 times!) Each time I spoke to the manager he blamed the other manager and vice versa! 8 weeks later they turned up with the "new" base. Guess what..it was THE SAME dirty base I rejected 8 weeks ago, I recognised the stains!!!

I went straight round, the manager looked shocked and asked why I was there as surely everything was okay as my bed had been delivered! I said to him that I could not beleive he had sent the same dirty bed to me! and why didnt he check it before it went out (he said he saw it being put on the van). I could tell he was embarrassed.

I asked for my money back and he agreed (wrote out the details of the refund - which is not done in store but done by head office).

In the end I agreed with him to get a partial refund (about £500) and keep the mattress (I really like the memory foam mattress).

I asked them to come collect the base they had loaned me, it was all arranged for collection the following weekend. I ordered a base from another company which was delivered and despite me asking them to take the loan base away 3 times, its a year later and no-one ever came to collect it!!

I said to the manager when I got the refund that in a nice way I hope I didnt see him again!! (I was fed up of having to go into the branch 3 times a week for 3 months to chase up the delivery!). He said well if you ever need a bed for your spare room then come in! I mean AS IF!!! I would never deal with this company again!!!!!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    These are the sort of problems that are all too common with many of the big chain stores.
  • scullster
    scullster Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I'm assuming that this was a purchase made in the shop? If so, then carry on at them. If they quoted you for a delivery date at the point of sale and have failed to meet it, then they are in breach of their contract.

If you bought it online, DSR apply and they are definately in breach.

I agree with one of the other posters - you'll get a better deal on line but you run the risk as you cant try before you buy. In a shop, you get to climb all over the bed!

We've just had a pretty decent mattress from Argos (it was half price, dead comfy) - we rejected the other 2 a couple of days after delivery, they hadn't been removed from the packaging and Argos collected and refunded without question.

Mattressnextday.co.uk - exactly as it says on the tin and the prices were really good
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    scullster wrote: »
    I agree with one of the other posters - you'll get a better deal on line but you run the risk as you cant try before you buy. In a shop, you get to climb all over the bed!

You can only get a very rough idea by trying a mattress out for 10 mins in a showroom. You really need to sleep on it for a few nights to know for sure. That is why you need to buy from an on line seller who gives a satisfaction guarantee.
    scullster wrote: »
    We've just had a pretty decent mattress from Argos

I didn't know that was possible.
  • scullster
    scullster Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I didn't know that was possible.

What I failed to mention was it was replacing a dog of a mattress that we'd got with the bed from Argos originally;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure