Does my chimney need lining for stove?

Options
Hi,

My wife wants a multifuel stove - I've done some research and the Clearview Pioneer 400 seems like a good, if expensive, option. Must think I've got money to burn :rotfl:

However, there seems to be a lot of confusion around which chimneys need lining. Our house is a new build (4 years old) and has a class one flue. It looks like it is lined with some stone-like material and don't think it needs lining. Wondered if anybody would know.

Here are 3 pics of the fireplace and chinney:

www.i-solve.co.uk/fire1.jpg
www.i-solve.co.uk/fire2.jpg
www.i-solve.co.uk/fire3.jpg

Thanks,

iso

Comments

• sad_dog_lady
    Options
    have it swept... costs around 25.00 and then they will let you know how much soot has accumulated, i dont think you need it lined, are you going to use wood only? if so get it swept each year and you will be ok, its only a problem if you get a build up of soot which with rain becomes abit like creosote, there fore flammable . regular sweeping will keep it in check.
    1. i'm bi polar.:rotfl:2. carer for two autistic sons.:A 3. have a wonderful but challenging teenage daughter.:mad: 4. have a husband that is insatiable. :eek: 5. trying to do an open degree.
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    Wet or damp timber should not be used. This can also cause a problem. Always season logs for at least a year before use.

Your photo makes it look like some form of lining, however I would have concerns about the ragged mortar that soot could rest on? It is ideal to have a smooth lining.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • iso_2
    iso_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the idea is to use wood. No wet or damp stuff :-)

So, providing I stick to dry/seasoned stuff and have it swept one a year, looks like I should be ok?
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like a precast chimney, should be ok without a liner, however get it fitted correctly !
    As for sweeping if burning wood without a liner you need it sweeping at least twice a year, with a liner you could possibly go once a year maybe 18 months, liners have a much smoother inside face and are better insulated so they take a lot of soot and other deposits away in the flue gases, normal chimneys are less well insulated and therefore the flue gases cool a lot quicker on the way up causing more soot and tar to form higher up in the chimney.
    NEVER burn wet or damp wood if it sizzles its too wet, dry wood had a nice "chink" to it if you drop it, damp wood is more of a dull thud, burning wet wood produces steam / condensate which is very high in creosote as it rises and cools it will become bitumenous and stick to the chimney or liner and will soon clog it up, ive know customer have a bad batch of damp wood and that blocked a liner in a matter of weeks.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • fluesystems
    Options
    Just to confirm, this chimney would not need a chimney liner. Having said that, many customers choose to install a chimney liner. Why? It keeps the insides of the stack clean, prevents the gasses from the stove from expanding so quickly, which keeps them warmer, and therefore rising.

It's never compulsory to install a chimney liner for a wood burning stove, even in older properties, it's just highly recommended.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure