PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice required - first time buyers been through the mill

Options
Hi guys

Looking for a bit of advice, really...

We're a couple of first time buyers who seem to be having a bad run of luck.

We had an offer accepted 18 weeks ago on a flat. (Paid £122,500, list price was £125,000) and instructed solicitors etc. Unfortunately, it has taken a lot of time to get this far (right near exchange) and we have chased everyone and everything for it to even get this far.

Anyway, to make matters worse, we received a call today from our solicitors saying they needed to inform us that on our block (purpose built, 3 floors), there are due to be £16,000 or so worth of maintenance upgrades that are not within our maintenance costs. This will be shared between the 10 flats.
We weren't informed of this early, and the vendor actually did not tell anyone. They received notice of it, but failed to inform the estate agent, and their own soliticors. They only found out because another client in the same block told them.

These costs (so about £1,600) will be imposed upon us if we agree to exchange and complete without doing anything about it. We're first time buyers and don't have an awful lot of disposable cash.
In your opinions, do you think we are within our right to be annoyed at the vendor and suggest they should pay half (at least?!) towards these costs? If we knew they were to happen, we would have adjusted our offer accordingly right at the start. Should we stand our ground? Do you think they will say yes to paying half?

Opinions much appreciated. Or indeed questions if I have missed anything out.

Regards

Kev

Comments

• Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Stand your ground but not offensively. Mention that its something you would have taken into consideration in the offer and you would like to reduce your offer by that amount. Wait for a reply and they might offer to pay half etc. Dont just do nothing and end up paying the full amount. Its a game of poker now and if they think you're going to go all in, rather than lose out they will want to make a deal.
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you offered to buy without these upgrades, and the fact that they are not done yet, I imagine the vendor might expect you to pay for them. After all only yourselves will benefit from them.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2009 at 1:23PM
    Options
    Why should you pay half? If vendor knew of these charges and neglected to tell you (or the EAs) I don't see why they shouldn't pay the full amount. They'll have to if you pull out and they have to stay there after all.

Maybe I'm just being crabby (just had a bad experience of a house purchase turning sour) but I really think they should pay at least half.

I would certainly try and negotiate the price down, and also be prepared to walk (which is what we ended up doing though our story is different - it was the drains).

Good luck!

Maggie
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    kjrbetts wrote: »
    These costs (so about £1,600) will be imposed upon us if we agree to exchange and complete without doing anything about it. We're first time buyers and don't have an awful lot of disposable cash.
    Your cash position is irrelevant
    In your opinions, do you think we are within our right to be annoyed at the vendor
    Yes
    and suggest they should pay half (at least?!) towards these costs? If we knew they were to happen, we would have adjusted our offer accordingly right at the start. Should we stand our ground? Do you think they will say yes to paying half?
    I would expect them to pay the lot, because as you say you were not given any indication of these issues. They should not be in a better position now than iff they had declared the costs up front
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • kjrbetts
    kjrbetts Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the input, folks. It's at least improved our confidence in what we are doing is right.

My big annoyance is that the vendor seems to have witheld this information from everyone - including his own solicitors, and it was only the searches that brought them up. As I said before, we would have negotiated a better price had we known!
  • ukmaggie45
    Options
    Just found out more detail on our failed purchase that I am very angry about. :mad:

Please make sure you get any surveys done that might be iffy. Yes, it's expensive, but in the long term it will save you not only cash but stress.

In our case we went for a drains CCTV survey as there are a lot of trees on the site. As recommended by our surveyor.

Today OH in touch with our drain surveyor, as we haven't had bill (or survey) yet. Prob to do with the mail strike stuff?

Anyway, it seems that drain man shows vendor the stuff as he does it, and there are probs with tree roots getting into drains,

Vendor then asks if it is possible for him to not tell us in the survey! The survey that we have spent money on... AAaarrrrggghhh!

I no longer am feeling guilt from withdrawing from the purchase.

Good luck to you, be careful! :-;

Maggie
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    I am suprised you can't get copies of stuff via email.

who told you the vendor asked that?
  • ukmaggie45
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    I am suprised you can't get copies of stuff via email.

who told you the vendor asked that?

Hi Poppysarah, OH spoke to the drain surveyor yesterday. Survey and bill have been posted signed-for, but it hasn't arrived yet. We were worried he would think we were just being slow to pay up. :o It was the drain surveyor who told OH that vendor had asked him not to tell us.

OP, good luck with your negotiations!

Maggie
  • homehunter
    Options
    Argh, I can't stand it when people 'beglect' to inform solicitors etc of developments and potential hold-ups...

We have just signed our contract (FTBs), handed a 10% deposit to our solicitor, and our seller has signed her contract. All parties agreed to a completion date in less than 3 weeks time (was about 5 weeks when agreed) - we have that in writing. And just as we are about to exchange....our seller's seller (if you see what I mean) informs us indirectly that she is only moving if her relative sorts out a mortgage for the place she's buying, as that person is moving in with her relative. So there is a whole other chain that we didn't know about which has a direct impact on our chain! Our solicitor certainly didn't know about it, and I know that if we were aware of this we would not have handed in notice on our rental...we've got to be out in 3 weeks and we still don't know what's happening. It was all sorted!!! I'm certain that the person 2 rungs up has not spoken to the solicitor at all, so communication between that solicitor and our seller's solicitor has been inadequate to say the least. And the EAs have been next to useless in all of this, not a peep.:mad:

So, still chasing to find out if we are going to be homeless in 3 weeks....:(
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is your seller's seller a party to the written agreement? If so there could be some pressure brought to bear there, depending on the written agreement.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure